one : the observatory

As you stand in the line, you boil with annoyance at the deafening squeals of excitement that surround you. "You're used to this, theres only ten minutes until they open the doors." You remind yourself. Putting your headphones in, you close your eyes & let your head sway to your favourite song.

You grew up in {your birth place} but moved to Santa Clarita, California in your Junior year. After graduation in 2014, you attended New York University to study photography. Now, in 2018, you have moved back to California & work for a local music magazine for discovering upcoming artists. You often attend small concerts to take photos & notes to include in your article for the future.

You feel a tapping on your shoulder & quickly open your eyes to see a frustrated girl staring back at you with an arched eyebrow & her arms crossed. You turn your head to notice the line has moved & see people pouring into the venue. Walking into the entrance, you catch a glimpse of the poster: Vampire Weekend Live In Santa Ana The Observatory June 25+26 With Wallows. "They better be good." You think to yourself as you enter the room full of pushing bodies & electrified voices.

Shoving to get a clear view, you find yourself to the left side of the stage a few people from the front staring up at lying instruments & clean microphones soon to be filled with life. Gripping onto your camera desperately, you feel the silhouettes close in on you & can smell the alcohol travel from their lips into the air around.

Suddenly, your left headphone is taken out & a deep voice shouts in your ear, "Preparing yourself?"

You turn to him & can't help but gaze into his hazel eyes. Looking back at you is a tall guy with dirty blonde hair in a yellow shirt covered with a green button up shirt & brown loose jeans. Noticing your shock, he smirks down at you & apologises for scaring you. "I believe this is yours." He hands your headphone back to you & pushes his hands into his pockets.

"I would say replacing the irritating sound of people with great music fits the description better." You reply, can't help but smiling back at him. His head falls back as he laughs & you tuck your headphones back into your small black shoulder bag.

"I can't blame you, sometimes i wish that the acts would start as soon as you find a great place to stand, & you, have found probably the best spot." A grin spreading across his face exposes his deep dimples that are placed next to his full lips.

Putting out your hand in front of you, you reply "I've been practicing. I'm Y/N."

He takes his right hand out of his jeans & slots in into yours, squeezing slightly & you feel warmth wash over you. "Jackson. Nice to meet you Y/N."

You're interrupted by a sudden a wave of screams & applause, echoing through the venue. As you let go, you face the stage and see three figures placing themselves in their positions. Blue lights beam onto the stage & the guy above you turns around to face the audience behind you.

It's a familiar face, one you have thought of for four years but tried to forget. You mouth agape, tears prick at your eyes as he begins to strum an upbeat tune on his guitar.

"It's him."