thirty one: feels like forever

A/N : The author's note in the last chapter has not aged well. Thank you all so much for the ongoing support even though I deserted everyone. A lot has happened & i'm going to try my best to keep writing <33
—————————————————

So there you are, running up the stairs of Braeden's apartment building after walking Lydia & Genessa home. The sound of your steps echo through the stairwell, ringing in your overthinking mind. Jackson has been nothing but sweet & caring however you can't deny Braeden has always been in the back of your head. You've never been able to stop your wandering eye when girls approach him & feeling a pit of jealously in your heart when he seems intrigued. You've always brushed off the idea of him reciprocating but that doesn't matter anymore. Nothing matters as long as he knows how you feel.

You pause for a moment, trying to process your overwhelming emotions. Confusion, hope, happiness & immense guilt shadows everything else, leading to one more question.

What if he doesn't feel the same?

"What are you doing, Y/N?" You whisper to yourself, "You're drunk & you have a boyfriend & this is the most dramatic thing you've ever done!"

You start to turn around to leave when you notice you're on the right floor. There it is. There's his door. All you have to do is knock. And that's what you do.

Your heart races as you hear good reps approach from the other side. You try to steady your breath & shaking hands but there's no use. Hearing the door open you look up to find-

"Jackson?!"

His smile warm smile welcomes you & his arms engulf you into a hug.

"Hold on," you push away from him, staring into his eyes confused, "this is Braeden's apartment, right?"

He gives out a small laugh. "Yes, don't worry, you're in the right place. I'm so glad you got my message."

"Message?"

"The one i left you telling you to come here once you were safe. I was so worried when you didn't call so i thought the next best place to find you would be here."

You heart drops & you force a smile. Jackson is the one who cares, not Braeden. He probably didn't even think of what you were up to tonight, let alone worry about your whereabouts. Jackson is the one you should be falling in love with, but why does he feel so unstable & wrong?

You see a new figure emerge from behind Jackson, Braeden in his pyjama bottoms & an oversized jumper, bringing you a feeling of familiarity in your disjointed state. A knowing smirk appears on his face, looking like a cheeky older brother with his arms crossed.

"Well, well, Y/N." Braeden puts on a deep & manly voice that instantly makes you internally giggle, "Can you explain to me what causes you to come home at such an hour as this?"

Playing along, you pull your face into a frown & walk up to him. "I can't explain myself, ground me for life or lock me away & throw away the key."

Braeden looks up at Jackson & sighs, "Yep, well, Y/N is definitely alright, acting like the mischievous child they are."

"Hey!" You slap across the arm, causing him to jerk back & laugh.

"Alright, I better get Y/N back home. Seems like you've had a mad night."

You feel Jackson grab your arm & start to pull you back towards him but you stumble. Braeden catches you with your hips, pulling you close to his chest & stabilising your dizzy body. Feeling him so close feels strange yet familiar, warmth engulfing you as chills run up your spine.

"You can say that again." You mutter under your breath.

——————————

You wake up to blinding light & chirping birds, causing your head to pound with regret. Opening your eyes, you're greeted to Braeden's kind face, his sleeping eyes fluttering as he dreams. He looks so peaceful; his lips relaxing into their natural pout, body rising & falling as he breathes & you notice how rosy his cheeks are. How have you never noticed it before?

As you try to comprehend the moment, you watch as a brunette hair falls down over his face. Disliking the disturbance to the image in front of you, you reach & tuck it behind his ear & hold your hand there for a second.

His eyes open & you watch his peaceful facial experiences shift from confusion to happiness as his knowing smile returns to his face. You both stare in comfort at each other until you realise your hand is still resting on his jaw. & you're in his bed. & you're wearing his t-shirt.

You quickly remove your hand & sit up to see Jackson seated uncomfortably in the chair in the corner of Braeden's bedroom. What the hell happened last night?!

"You don't remember?" Braeden answers your question you didn't realise you had said out loud.

A sharp pain shoots through your head & you grab it instinctively. Great, a hangover.

"Well, I remember up to the part of getting here & that's about it."

Braeden sits up next to you & chuckles to the sound of Jackson quietly snoring in the background. "Ah so up to the part of you passing out."

You turn your head to look at him. "I did not!"

"You did."

"Absolutely not."

"I can assure you, my dear Y/N, that you completely & utterly did."

You throw your palms to cover your face & fall back on the mattress & pillows.

"Not only did you pass out," he continues, "I had to carry you in here & get you ready for bed."

You remove your hands & look from where you were lying to his eyes. "You mean you had to...", gesturing to the oversized t-shirt half covering your body.

"Oh!" he realises, "no, don't worry, I let your boyfriend do that, who also invited himself to have a sleepover by the way."

You laugh with relief, although you can't help the curiosity behind the thought of Braeden undressing you. Looking back over at Jackson asleep in the chair, you can't help but feel the intense growing guilt erupting in your gut & decide enough is enough.