twenty five : tensions

a/n : hello to you all. i apologise profusely for the lack of updates. I've just taken time to adjust to change but i am back. i personally don't really read author notes so congratulations to you.

"Alright, guys. Everyone know their positions?"

It's now Saturday afternoon & Wallows are about to play their set. The awkward tension between you & Braeden has ceased yet you can't help but trail your mind to what Dylan said. You're not uncomfortable but you feel so uncomfortable [ ;) ].

As it's tradition for the pre-show hype talk, Cole thought it would be cool if the four of you huddled like a sports team. Heads together, you, Braeden and Cole nod quickly in reply to Dylan. Braeden shifts beside you & you suddenly feel self conscious about how close you are.

The boys' voices fade away as you fall into a daze of in-focus. Braeden's fingertips softly graze against your back, leaving chills to climb all over your body. His hot calm breath flows to your neck & you feel his strong arm wrap around you.

"Y/N!"

Snapped out of your trance, you look up quickly to Dylan, accidentally bumping heads. The four of you break away after the impact & leave you and Dylan rubbing your foreheads.

"Maybe we shouldn't do the huddle again." Cole smirks.

"No!" You shake your head. "It's my fault, i wasn't listening. What was the question?"

Braeden scoffs beside you & crosses his arms. "What's your plan for the set?"

"I'm taking photos in front of the crowd, getting as many angles as possible." You raise an eyebrow at him, slightly annoyed at his attitude, "What's your problem?"

Cole & Dylan glance at each other with wide, concerned eyes. Braeden would always get nerves before shows but this is the first time he's ever let it out on anyone, especially you.

"What's my problem?" He echoes. "Maybe you should start acting like you care about our career, rather than getting distracted imagining you're kissing your boyfriend."

With that, he storms to his guitar & picks it up, making his way to the stage. You stare blankly at his back, speechless.

"Y/N, he didn't mean that." Dylan tells you, "You know how he gets, he wants everything to go perfectly."

"Yeah! He's probably got heatstroke or something." Cole adds, trying to lighten the mood.

"Trust me, i completely understand." You say coldly & start walking backwards towards the exit.

As you position yourself next to the security guard in front of the metal barrier, a mixture of rage & embarrassment fills you up. The crowd cheer around you, welcoming your three friends to the stage.

A sharp burn stings your chest when you see a smiling Braeden start playing the chords on his guitar. How can someone switch moods so quickly? It seems you have forgotten how sudden his emotions change, but even before you had never been the reason for his frustration.

In his mind, the smile he is displaying is beyond fake. Yes, he loves to be on stage, its where he belongs; but he can't shake off the feeling that he's hurt you. If that's true, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself. It's a mystery to him why he snapped at you, but he can't take it back & that's what's distracting him.

The set is amazing as always & by the end of it, you have brushed off the fury Braeden caused you. The spiteful moment appears to have affected him as well; he didn't seem constantly overjoyed as he usually does & you can't shake of the feeling that he's sorrowful.

After the set, you all meet backstage. Three beaming smiles match yours as you approach them, preparing yourself to congratulate them in the great show. Before you can, Braeden engulfs you into a firm hug.

It takes a moment for you to react to his chest pressed up against yours, your torso totally taken into his embrace. Feeling his head nuzzle into you neck, you wrap your arms around his neck. Totally immersed in the scene, you close your eyes & long for it to last infinitely. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.

Catching your attention, Cole coughs eagerly as you separate each other instantly. "That was nice & all but we should head out."

You start admiring your shoes and can't help but silently smile to yourself. Hearing all voices of agreement, you all exit the backstage area & make your way towards the food truck lines. Leaving Dylan & Cole behind, you & Braeden subconsciously walk at the same fast pace, giving you both a chance to talk about what happened before the set.

Unaware of where to place your arms, you brush against each other multiples times & decide to cross your arms in front of your chest. You glance back at the boys behind you & notice that they're in a deep, amusing conversation about who knows what.

"I'm so sorry."

Fortunately, Braeden cuts the deafening silence & you look up at him beside you. His eyebrows are furrowed & his lips are pursed together, eyes focused on the surroundings in front of him.

"For what?" You smirks at his embarrassment.

This causes his thin lips to curl into a small smile. "Oh, you know, being annoyed at you for no reason whatsoever."

His eyes meet yours & he stuffs his hands in his pockets. Unprepared for the eye contact, you look away quickly.

"In all honesty, i don't know why i talked to you like that." He nudges you softly, causing you to smile & playfully nudge him back.

"If i ever treat you like that again, punch me in the face, smash my guitar & never talk to me again."

You lean your head back to let out a small laugh but Braeden grabs you by the wrist & pulls you close, halting your footsteps.

"I'm serious, Y/N, you deserve to be treated the best because you are the greatest person i have ever had the pleasure of meeting & if anyone looks down on you or treats you like you aren't, please do me a favour & cut them out of your life."

His voice lowers, "Even Jackson."

Jackson! You were supposed to call him a few hours ago & you had forgotten. Reaching down to your pocket, you pull out your phone.

As you turn the screen on, you are greeted by seven text messages & three missed calls. You hurriedly slide the notification to start calling & place your phone to your ear.

"Y/N?"

"Jackson! I'm so sorry i didn't call you, it's just crazy here & i helped the guys prepare then they were on stage then Braeden-"

"It's fine, Y/N." He interrupts suddenly.

You walk to find a quiet space under a tree & speak slowly. "What's wrong?"

"Do you have feelings for Braeden?"

You feel your throat close up with panics. Of course you didn't, how could he think that? There's never been a reason why... has there?

"What? No!" You ensure him, "Why would you think that?"

You hear Jackson release a sigh of relief on the other side of the call, "It's just- Cole's comment..."

You chuckle slightly at the mention, "It was just a joke; Braeden & i acted like we were together so i could get in to the performers' section."

"Sounds eventful," Jackson chuffs, "i cant wait to hear all about it. I miss you, Y/N."

You smile to yourself. "I miss you too Jackson."