{ II } Shadyside Trash

July 13, 1978

The sun rose just over the horizon, casting a breathtaking orange hue over Camp Nightwing. The first day of camp had been a success for all. But, Nightwing and the campers that boarded there would never see a day quite like their first again.

The ringing of the camp bell pulled Sidney out of her dreamless rest first. Causing her to shoot up in bed almost in a sort of panic, the dark-haired girl looked around the room for the source of the noise until she heard the voice of a counselor yell that it was time to get up from somewhere outside.

Letting out a groan, Sidney fell back onto her bed, her hair fanning out on the pillow as Ziggy pulled herself up, resting on her arms as she looked over at a tired-looking Sidney. "Are they going to do that every morning?" Sidney groaned, rubbing the sleep away from her tired eyes. "God I hope not..." Ziggy mumbled.

Sitting up in her bed, Sidney watched as Ziggy slipped out of bed and walked towards the calendar on the wall. "Just fourteen days until we are out of here." She stated, writing the countdown on the calendar with a black pen. "So, we're already starting with that?" Sidney asked, stretching her arms out before getting up.

"Need something to look forward to," Ziggy stated with a shrug, walking back towards her bed to look for a change of clothes. "It'll only be as bad as we make it..." Sidney spoke earnestly as she pulled a pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt out of her bag.

"Time to get up, Shadyside Trash!" A girl's voice could be heard outside their cabin window before the sound of something crashing into the side of their cabin. Followed by the sound of laughter and footsteps as they ran away.

Rolling her eyes, Sidney finished getting dressed before walking outside to inspect what happened.

Eggs. She suspected some Sunnyvale assholes thought it would be funny to egg their cabin on the first day. "You were saying?" Ziggy quipped as she followed close behind Sidney. "It's the second day." Sid scoffed, picking pieces of eggshell off the wood. "Let's clean it later. It's too early for this shit." Ziggy let out a huff before pulling her friend away from the wall and towards the Mess Hall.

"No, screw cleaning it. I want to find whoever did this." Sidney complained, eyeing each Sunnyvaler that crossed their path. "And what route do you suggest we take, detective?" Ziggy said sarcastically, also keeping her eyes on the Sunnyvale campers that passed them. "I don't know, Ziggy. What I do know, is that if this is how they welcome us on our first day, I don't want to know what the last few holds for us."

Ziggy could only nod in agreement as the two entered the Mess Hall, the scorned looks on their faces instantly catching the eyes of their siblings. "Morning, guys... Why don't you sit with us today?" Tommy waved the two girls over to the table that was primarily occupied by the other counselors.

"Rather not." Ziggy answered first as the two made their way past the table. "No, seriously. Sit." Cindy stood from her seat to usher her sister and Sidney toward their table. "Don't look so miserable, guys," Cindy spoke first after having the two friends reluctantly sit at the table with their siblings. "The first night couldn't have been that bad?" She questioned with a small smile only to earn a scoff from Ziggy.

 "Someone egged our cabin," Sidney spoke dryly before looking towards her brother for help. "And we have no clue who could have done it." Sid added quickly before Tommy could question her about the culprit. "Sunnyvalers did this. A group of them." Ziggy stated.

"Well, you don't know that." Cindy defended the campers from Sunnyvale without hesitation. "Since when do Shadysiders use, 'Shadyside Trash', as an insult?" Ziggy retorted back and this time Cindy seemed to agree. That or she decided not to fight with Ziggy on this one. "Well, whoever did it, we'll find them-" Tommy tried to assure the two as the sound of hands clapping together pulled the group out of their conversation.