{ II } With No Soul

Day 5

Ziggy felt like she was living in an awakened nightmare.

Glaring at the boy in front of her, she awkwardly crossed her arms over her chest. They hovered slightly as she tried to not place any pressure on the wounds that had been hidden under layers of bandages and her hospital gown.

"Well, if it isn't the King of Sunnyvale. Come to grace me with your presence?" She questioned sarcastically, a frown edged on her lips.

Nick had to hold in his scoff, but he couldn't hide the way he rolled his eyes at the comment. Pushing himself away from the doorway, Nick limped to the side of Ziggy's bed.

"Just wanted to see how you were doing." He told her politely, though she didn't drop her attitude.

Waving a hand over her bedridden figure, Ziggy rolled her eyes at the boy. "Obviously, I've been better. But glad to see you're still "checking in" or whatever you call stalking."

"You know. I didn't need to check-in, right?" Nick scoffed out.

"Well, I didn't ask you to." Ziggy huffed out, placing her arm back over her chest, taking in a sharp breath as she hit one of the wounds.

"Knowing you, you probably just got tired of waiting for me to thank you." She added with a frown. "Now that you mention it..."

Ziggy squinted her eyes at the eldest Goode, shooting him a scornful look.

"I was joking, jeez." Nick chuckled to himself. "I see I'm not welcomed, so I'll leave you alone... Again." He added the last word with a smirk.

Ziggy pierced her lips slightly at the comment, looking back down at the scratchy blanket that covered her lap.

"How did you know?"

Nick stopped in his place, he had almost made it to the door before the quiet words of the Berman girl stopped him.

"Know what?" He asked with a furrowed brow before slowly turning to face her.

"How did you know where I was?" Ziggy elaborated for him.

It was a question she had been pondering over the past few days.

She couldn't figure out how he found her, much less why he saved her. The only thing connecting them was Sid, but that didn't mean they liked each other.

"Well... I-- I heard screaming." Nick stumbled over his words, looking for the easiest answer to her simple question. "I thought it was Sid."

"And then you found me, dead, and your first thought was to give me CPR?" Ziggy furthered the question, quirking an eyebrow up at the Sunnyvaler.

"What are you getting at Berman?" Nick shrugged off the question.

"Just trying to make sense of everything. It was a crazy night--"

"Exactly, it was a crazy night. Nothing makes sense." He cut her off, much to her annoyance.

"That's why I'm trying to make sense of everything that I can," Ziggy added. "And, there aren't many survivors that I can talk to."

Nick nodded slowly, making his way towards her. "I saved you... Because of Sid. You're her best friend and I knew she would do anything to save you so I thought I could try and save you, for her."

Ziggy nodded, a ghost of a smile placed on her lips. "I'll tell her what you did for me. When they find her."

"Let's not hold our breath." Nick muttered sadly.

Ziggy furrowed her brow, watching as the boy walked away from her again with a questioning look.

"You know something else that's been bothering me, Goode?" Her tone was one of distrust.

"Oh, there's more?" Nick sighed sarcastically, not even making the move to face the girl behind him.

"Sidney... I told her to get you and to get off the campgrounds." Ziggy's words seemed to make Nick's figure stiffen, his shoulders rising slightly.

"And yet... You say she wasn't with you in the woods." She continued with a frown.

"Well, I guess I missed her." Nick told her plainly, his tone harsh as he thought back to that night.

With silence still hanging in the air, Nick slowly began to approach the door, ready to leave before she could question him further.

"There was something else." She called out with a grin, she knew there was something else. Nick Goode had a secret and she was ready to hear it.

Nick stayed silent, fist-clenching slightly at the joking tone of her voice.

"When I woke up... You said they hadn't found her body yet." Ziggy paused, holding her breath at the idea that her friend had been murdered. "What makes you think she's dead, Nick?"

Nick's figure slowly relaxed, still not frozen in his place with his back facing the girl.

"What other option is there? It's been days." He questioned her softly.

"You don't know Sid like I do. She's a fighter. I know she's still out there."

Nick shook his head at her words.

"Sid was just a girl, she wouldn't have made it through half of that night without us." Nick's words were harsh, they took Ziggy aback.

"She saved me. Twice." Ziggy reminded him. "Yeah and we saved her countless times. I almost lost my leg saving her." Nick quickly shot back.

"I just don't appreciate you talking about her like she's gone. Like she's dead."

"Well, I'd rather prepare for the worst. I suggest you do the same."

"I can't. I saw her--" "So you're calling me a liar?" Nick cut her off before she could continue the same rant she had already given him.

"That's not what I'm saying. But I know what I saw... I'm not giving up on her."

Nick nodded slowly before finally stepping through the hospital rooms door.

"Don't hold your breath, Berman."