{ IV } Night Swimming

July 14, 1978

   "Where have you been?" Ziggy questioned Sid as she walked into their shared cabin. "I got bored waiting around for you," Sidney stated as she walked towards her bed. "But, very glad to know you were worried about me." Sidney finished sarcastically with a pout on her lips.

   Ziggy let out a scoff, rolling her eyes as she sat up in her bed. "You know it." She muttered as Sid took a seat beside her on the bed. "Check these out." Ziggy nodded down to her bandaged fingers before wiggling them in Sid's face. "You poor thing." Sidney sighed sarcastically, a smirk playing on her lips. "Shut up. It hurt like a bitch."

   "Well, you survived didn't you?" Sidney asked, lightly holding onto her friend's hand. "Sadly." Ziggy feigned sadness. "You are such a drama queen." Sidney laughed at her friends' behavior before standing up from the bed. "Come on, it's almost time for dinner."

   Ziggy let out a groan before falling back onto her bed. "Can we skip it? I don't think I'm ready to face Kurt and his endless enthusiasm yet." She stated, scrunching her face up at the thought. "We already missed lunch, Ziggy. Come on, please?" Sidney pulled on Ziggy's hand but the girl stayed limp on the bed.

   "I'm starving, you know how I get when I'm hungry." She added causing Ziggy to slowly rise from her spot. "Fine. I'd rather deal with Kurt for half an hour than you all night." She stated, standing up from the bed, carefully adjusting her tank top in the process. "You're so sweet to me." Sidney grinned.

   "What would I do without you?" She chuckled as her friend rolled her eyes. "I get it, shut up." Ziggy groaned, a smile ghosting her lips before she was pulled out of the cabin by Sidney.

~~~

   The girls were a few of the first campers to enter the Mess Hall, meaning better pickings for dinner, much to Sidney's enjoyment. "Your stubbornness pays off sometimes," Ziggy stated as the two girls took their seats at the back of the Hall. "No boasting." She quickly interjected before Sidney could get out her comment.

   "Whatever." Sid laughed as she picked up her fork. "I know, though." She mumbled before taking a bite of her salad. "I hate you." Ziggy laughed before throwing a grape at her friend.

   As the Mess Hall continued to fill with campers, Sidney's head perked up slightly as she noticed Nick walk in with a few other camp counselors. The girl grinned slightly to herself as she noticed that he clutched the book in his hand.

   Noticing the girl's gaze, Nick shot her a kind smile before waving the book in her direction. Sidney wasn't the only one to spot this as Ziggy looked from Sidney to Nick in confusion. "What was that?" She asked between her bites of food.

   "He's just being friendly." Sidney spoke with a shy smile. "Just being friendly." Ziggy mocked her friend, watching as a rosy tint began to spread over the girls' cheeks. "Shut it, he's not so bad."

   "He must not be if you trust him enough with your book." Ziggy commented, ignoring the slight anger that grew in her. She didn't understand how her friend could give in so easily to the enemy. "It's just a little book disagreement. You can join in on our argument over King versus Jackson."

   Ziggy snorted in response. "Easy loss. King is superior." "Then you're on his side." Sidney's words irritated Ziggy more than she thought they would. "Never mind then."

   "Ziggy, please. It's a one-time thing."

"And what happens when you find out he's just like the rest of them?" Ziggy asked, no anger evident in her voice, only worry for her friend.