{ XIII } Ending In Murder

July 19th, 1978

July 19th, 1978

Jeremy. A camper. A child. He was dead.

Slaughtered in the makeshift jailhouse the blue team had set up for Color War.

Who would do something like this?

Something so heinous. So cruel.

Sidney didn't know where to look, there wasn't a spot left in the cabin that wasn't tainted by the splatter of blood. Her eyes had no choice but to rest on the broken pair of glasses that belonged to Jeremy, resting in a pool of his blood

The crowd of campers and counselors that had left their hiding spots for the game now crowded around the door of the cabin. All laying witness to the brutal murder of an innocent child.

The scream of another camper seemed to pull Sidney out of her shock, her breathing heavy as she felt Ziggy latch onto her hand and pull her away from the scene.

"We're done. Everyone get back. Color War's done! Get out of here!" A Sunnyvale counselor yelled to the campers as Nick led the campers to the Mess Hall.

Once the two had entered the safety of the Mess Hall, Sidney pulled herself away from Ziggy to instead fall onto the ground, resting her back on the wall. "Oh my god... oh my god..." She whispered to herself, lightly picking at her shoelaces.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." Ziggy reassured her, kneeling beside her scared friend. "They killed a child, Ziggy. We don't know if we'll be okay." She wanted to cry but she couldn't muster the tears, all she knew was that she was scared. Paralyzed by her fear.

"It's gonna be okay, as long as we stick together." Ziggy whispered, carefully pulling Sidney's hand away from her lips as she went to anxiously chew at her nail.

Ziggy was right.

That's all she wanted to tell herself.

They always had each other's backs, as long as they stayed together it would be OK.

The ringing of the bell outside sounded off as the two girls returned to the center of the Mess Hall.

"Let's go! This is not part of the game!" Gary yelled from the outside as campers piled into the Mess Hall.

"Five, Seven, Eight, Ten, Fifteen, Eighteen..." Nick counted off the campers as they ran past him, all going to hide in the back of the hall or under tables from the murderous intruder.

Ziggy and Sidney watched as the last few campers and counselors entered, none of them being their siblings. "They're still out there..." Sidney whispered, terrified for her brothers' life.

The sound of the power shutting down around the camp, followed by the clicking off of the lights above them caused the hall to erupt in screams of terror.