{ V } The Prodigal Son

July 1978

"If a fear cannot be articulated, it can't be conquered."

~~~

He didn't know what it was about her.

There was just something in the air that seemed to make him not think straight when he was around her. Everything about her was wrong for him.

And yet, he knew that he wouldn't let that stop him. Because he'd do anything for her. Whatever the cost.

~~~

This would be a summer of firsts for Nick Goode. First summer as a counselor at Camp Nightwing. The last summer before he starts his first year of college. His first summer without his dad.

He tried to not think about what this summer would mean for him and everyone in his family. They were Goode's, they were perfect, the face of Sunnyvale.

He couldn't forget that and he couldn't be the one to ruin it.

That's what he tried to tell himself as a flash of red hair pulled his attention away from the clipboard in front of him.

He hadn't even noticed the Shadyside bus coming to a stop at the entrance, which was odd since nothing about that bus was quiet or unnoticeable.

He grimaced slightly as he scanned his eyes over the broken-down, rusted bus and the few Shadyside campers that piled out of it.

But that flash of red stole his attention once again.

Shifting his gaze onto the red-haired camper, he spotted two campers staring up at the sign that rested at the camp's entrance.

Though the red-head had stolen Nick's attention, it was the smirking camper beside her that put him in a trance.

She looked familiar, it was her eyes. They were a beautiful blue that held a sense of wonder, yet they held something else in them as well, a bit of mystery.

~~~

You're a counselor.

He reminded himself repeatedly as his gaze continued to drift onto the dark-haired camper who seated herself beside her red-headed friend.

The two giggled between each other as they listened to Kurt, the Head Counselor, introduce himself, which somehow turned into a boast of their town, Sunnyvale.

Nick had almost been too caught up in watching the girl that he didn't realize it was his turn to introduce himself to the Hall.

It took her eyes locking with his for him to notice the silence that followed the counselor's introduction.

Nick couldn't show the effect her look had on him, he couldn't slip up.

But he had to know who she was, maybe then he could forget about her. Because he couldn't afford to have her messing with his head.

   "Alright, now that you know us. I think it's time that you campers talk amongst yourselves, make some friends this summer." The loud voice of Kurt broke through his thoughts just before the hall filled with the excited voices of the campers.