3. The Call

Kennedy's couch was comfortable and soft, but falling asleep wasn't easy despite my exhaustion and the alcohol

Kennedy's couch was comfortable and soft, but falling asleep wasn't easy despite my exhaustion and the alcohol. Dozens of random thoughts about Brian, Ava, and my career swirled in my brain. Close to dawn, I fell into a restless slumber. That was when my buzzing phone jolted me awake. I felt the couch for the gadget and fished it from under a throw pillow. Ava's smiling face took up the screen. Did anything happen? It was midnight there.

I cleared my throat and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hey." Ava's soft voice sounded down the line.

"Hey. Is everything okay?"

The pause made me regret my choice of greeting.

"Hey, baby," I said. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I—"

"Ava. I'm glad you called. I was just worried cause it's late there."

"How was your day?"

That one question was enough to make me feel awful because I didn't text her when I landed, forgetting she might've been worried, too.

I covered my eyes with my arm and sighed. "Good. We went out, and then Aiden and I talked and took a couple of drinks. You?"

"We went to the promenade and drank some cocktails. I'm at Isla's now. Well, you should sleep. You must be tired."

Something was up. Nobody called another person at night just to ask about their day, and Ava sounding unsure fueled my suspicions.

"I'm not tired. I'm wide awake, so tell me what's going on," I said.

A light groan left Ava's lips. "I was going to touch myself and wanted to hear your voice while I did."

I jolted. Or maybe I didn't. What I surely felt was the stir-twitch-throb combo in my shorts. Fuck my entire existence.

"Wait," I said and hung up. There was no way I'd let Ava pay for talking to me, so I called her instead.

"You didn't have to." Ava chuckled. "I already feel weird as it is."

"Weird? That's not what I'd call it."

"What would you call it?"

"The hottest thing ever. So, you wanted to hear my voice."

Ava exhaled. "Yeah."

"What are you wearing?"

"Not much. Just some panties and a tee. It's hot."

I pictured that all too well. The dainty lace with a tiny bow on the front and nothing but the soft skin underneath the thin fabric.

"Take them off, baby."

"Okay," Ava whispered.

The rustling on the other end of the line brought a smile to my lips. A succession of X-rated images flicked behind my closed eyelids—bad idea. The painful twitching was back, and Ava was far. But she could do things to herself, and hearing her whimpers would be my consolation prize.