17. Communication

There was only one adjective to describe sitting in my car for four hours straight, reading to pass the time because I was afraid of going anywhere public — pathetic

There was only one adjective to describe sitting in my car for four hours straight, reading to pass the time because I was afraid of going anywhere public — pathetic. Just as it was pathetic to lose my first job over something that wasn't my fault. 

I'd always thought I'd quit once I'd found something better, gained more experience, earned more money. Funny how what I planned and what I got instead turned out to be completely different things.

I retrieved a compact mirror from my purse and checked my makeup. It was still flawless — at least I could give myself a pat on the back for not crying my heart out like I did on Monday.

Heaving a sigh, I turned the key in the ignition. The car engine purred, and I pulled out of a random parking lot next to a random mall to drive home.

Jim's Audi was already there. Nothing unusual — I couldn't imagine him being late. When I let myself into the house, the spicy notes of his cologne floated in the air, making the urge to bury my face in his neck to smell him physically unbearable.

I kicked off my sandals by the front door, dropped my purse by the couch, and padded to the kitchen.

Jim and Dad were sitting at the table, deep in conversation, judging by their hushed voices and the fact they didn't realize I was home.

"Hi." 

Jim swiveled his head, and a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Hey, baby."

He jumped to his feet and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pressing a kiss to my forehead. 

I didn't want him to release me. I wanted to stay where I was, in his arms, warm and safe until I felt better, but Dad was watching us.

"We have some quiche," he said. "You must be starving. Lots of work today?"

I swallowed. "Kinda. I'll set the table."

"I'll do it." Jim pecked my cheek. "You must be tired."

My gaze landed on the half-empty tumblers on the table. The amber liquid had never seemed so appealing. Maybe a swig or ten straight from the bottle would make me forget, although I could also end up drunk but still remember everything like I remembered my favorite book quotes.

Jim served the food and sat by my side, making sure to touch me whenever he reached for something. I saw him this morning, but it was as if we spent days apart.

My stomach spasmed. I forked my favorite dish but only managed to swallow a few bites. 

"Are you working later?" I asked Dad to divert his attention from my lack of appetite.  I wasn't so silly to keep my job fiasco from him, but I didn't have the guts to talk about my failure just yet and risk bursting into tears.

He shook his head. "I'm going to Leo's cabin. Poker night and fishing tomorrow. Do you guys have plans?"

"Not really," Jim said. "We'll probably just stay in. I bet Ava's tired."