9. Like I Missed You

My hair fell over my shoulders in loose waves

My hair fell over my shoulders in loose waves. A short white dress wrapped around my body. My skin was smooth, my makeup light, my nails painted.

And I was going to be late.

I grabbed my purse and dashed downstairs. A glance at my watch told me I'd likely hit the evening traffic, but I couldn't leave without saying goodbye.

When I entered the living room, Dad lifted his eyes off his phone and stared at me. "Wow. Good to know Hendrix is back."

"He must be home already, and I took forever getting ready. Gotta run. I just wanted to say bye."

The corners of Dad's mouth lifted in a smirk. "See you tomorrow, I guess."

I hoped so. I hoped after Jim and I talked, he wouldn't let me leave, but Dad didn't need to know that, just like he didn't need to know how much I spent on the white lingerie I bought for the occasion.

"I guess." I smoothed the front of my dress. "See you."

After planting a kiss on Dad's cheek, I shoved my feet in a pair of silver sandals and rushed out of the house. 

The sun hid during my drive to Jim's. When I pulled over next to his apartment complex, street lights cast my surroundings in a yellow glow, a stark contrast with the dark blue sky.

I strolled toward the entrance of the building, my steps deliberately slow, and exhaled once I'd let myself into the familiar foyer. 

My fingers wrapped tightly around the apartment key. Was Jim home? Was he waiting for me?

Silence greeted me when I stepped out of the elevator. Hands shaking, I inserted the key in the lock and opened the door. My gaze roamed the hallway, and my heart fluttered at the sight of several suitcases propped against the wall.

I took off my shoes and padded to the dark living room. 

The condo was silent, and the lights were off. 

Where was he?

I dropped my purse onto the couch and took a hesitant step toward the window. A faint noise made me halt.

"Ava."

Jim stood in the hallway doorway. A simple white cotton tee hugged his defined torso, and black shorts hung on his hips. Slowly, my eyes traced all of him, pausing on his breathtaking face, moving up to his slightly damp hair, drinking him in. 

We froze. A breath caught in my throat. I wet my lips and blinked to make sure Jim was really there. 

"Hey," he spoke again. "I...I feel like an idiot right now cause I convinced myself you wouldn't come. When I didn't see you here, I…" Jim ran a palm across his face. "I'm so damn happy to be wrong. I think you could say something now so I know I'm not dreaming."