16. Rock Bottom

Reaching for Jim was the first thing I did when I woke up, but his side of the bed was empty

Sunlight flooded the room, and the chirping of birds outside reminded me I was in the most peaceful place I knew, safely hidden from what caused my breakdown and the post-crying burn I still felt in my eyes.

I fetched the glass of water Jim had thoughtfully left on the nightstand and gulped down the liquid. After getting ready in the bathroom, I threw on a tee and some shorts and dashed downstairs to get my good morning kiss.

"Ba—"

The term of endearment died on the tip of my tongue when my eyes landed on the band guys and three other men I'd never seen before, sitting on the living room couch and in the armchairs. 

Thank God I wasn't naked. My cheeks warmed, regardless, because Jim's guests were staring at me.

I cleared my dry throat. "Hello."

"Good morning." Jay hopped to his feet. "Can I hug your girlfriend, Jimmy boy?" he yelled, glancing toward the hallway.

Jim must've been in the kitchen. I scolded myself for not going there first. 

"No," Jim's voice boomed, echoing through the house, and bursts of laughter erupted from the guys' mouths. 

"Possessive fucker." Jay chuckled under his breath and gave me a brief hug, careful to keep his distance. "I'm sorry about all that crap, okay?"

"We all are," Finlay said. 

"Ava." Jim appeared in the family room doorway, holding a tray with breakfast. "I decided to let you sleep, but I'm glad you're awake. You've already met the guys, and—"

"I'm Andre," the man with piercing blue eyes said. "The manager of the band."

"Cayden, the producer." Another guy in a white polo and khaki shorts studied me, his gaze soft. 

There was one more person I hadn't met. He must've been around Andre's age, probably in his mid-thirties. His eyes roamed my face, and he gave me a sheepish grin. "Sorry. Max, the PR manager."

"I'm gonna get more stuff for breakfast," Jim said, drawing an arm around my shoulders. "Help me, baby, will you?"

I nodded and let him lead me out of the room. In the kitchen, Jim closed the door behind us and cupped my face in his warm palms. 

"I'm sorry. It couldn't wait, and I told them to come here. I trust them."

I tipped my chin up and brushed my lips against Jim's. "It's okay, baby, but what's going on? Are they here because of music, or…"

"I don't know much yet. Let's take the coffee and fruit there and listen to what they wanna say."

I grabbed the bowl with fruit from the table, and Jim took the coffee pot and the mugs.