34. Deal

Declan's car rolled to a stop on my street

Declan's car rolled to a stop on my street. I straightened in the backseat and gripped the clasp of the belt, but Jim curled his fingers around my wrist, squeezing lightly. "Wait."

Declan swiveled his head, and a knowing smile tugged at his lips. "I'll call Mel outside," he said, plucking his phone from the center console.

As soon as he left the vehicle, Jim wrapped an arm around my shoulders and brought me to his chest. My fingertips danced across the cotton of his white tee,  inching higher until his stubble prickled the pads. 

"This feels fucking wrong." He sighed into my hair.

I rested my cheek on his shoulder. "The end of our vacation?"

"The guys are probably happy it ended because they had to work. Obviously, not me. Saying goodbye feels wrong."

"Will it feel less wrong if I kiss you?"

The smirk on Jim's tanned face said, try and find out. I smoothed my palm over the back of his neck and slanted my mouth over his.

Firm lips parted, giving me better access. My heartbeat stuttered at the feeling of his hands on me—one on my bare shoulder, another one under my skirt, on the curve of my bum, caressing me like he'd done countless times. And just like now, it was never enough.

"Still feels wrong." Jim's husky whisper blew across my lips. He claimed them again, adding slow flicks of his tongue while he hugged me so tightly I felt each ridge of muscle under his clothes.

When we broke apart, I sank into his embrace, the top of my head nestling under his chin.

"What are you going to do when you get home?"

Jim chuckled. "Take a cold shower. Have some strong coffee. Check my email. Do laundry. Call the guys."

"Thank you for the vacation. It was wonderful."

He ran a thumb along my jaw. "Don't. I needed it. We both did. And we should travel together more often."

"I'd like to do something for you too, you know? If I worked—"

"Ava." Warning rang in Jim's voice. "You do so much for me already. Please don't go there. I do things because I can and because I want to. Got it?"

"Got it."

Silence cocooned us for a few heartbeats. Just like Jim, I wished I didn't have to leave Declan's Toyota, but the poor guy finished the call and was pacing the sidewalk.

"You shouldn't make Declan wait," I said to Jim, straightening my clothes. "I'll get my stuff."

"I'll help you with the suitcase."

I traced the shape of Jim's brow with my index finger. "It has wheels, and it's not heavy at all."

With reluctance written across his features, Jim opened the door and got out. After pulling my small suitcase out of the trunk, he kissed me once more and leaned against the Toyota.