39. Closer Than Ever

July

July. NYC

Jay, Fin, Nick, and I sat on the couches in my hotel suite. Half-empty water bottles littered the low table in front of us, and Jay had the set list in his hands. 

"Riveted right after Fire and Rain?" he asked, rubbing his chin.

I gulped down the rest of my water and put the empty bottle on the table. "Our two biggest hits together. Last time, we closed with Riveted, so why not try something different?"

"I think it'll work." Nick leaned in to peer at the page in Jay's hands. 

Jay swatted him away. "You're smothering me, Nicholas. Don't you think it's hot enough without you?"

The temperature in the suite was pleasant thanks to the air con set on full blast. Since we met in my room to talk before going to the arena to get ready for tonight's show, Jay'd been in quest of stuff to dislike, so his grumpiness didn't surprise me one bit.

Come to think of it, it'd been going on for way longer. Weird, but what did I know? We were close, but we didn't share every detail of our private lives.

"I'll be back." Jay shoved the set list in Nick's hands and hopped off the beige couch. 

Fin drummed his fingers on his knee. "Will he be okay to play?"

"Don't worry.” Nick chuckled. “He'll chill once we're at the arena. Must be the stage jitters.”

Tonight's show would be big — sixty thousand spectators at one of the most important arenas. It’d be the second time I'd spend my birthday playing —or a small part of it, since I'd turn twenty-four at midnight, but what upset me was not having Ava with me to celebrate once the concert was over. 

Asking her to come on tour with us wasn't practical. The schedule was so tight we had no time between shows. Plus, she had to work and attend several events in July on top of editing her book. Although I'd gladly keep her glued to my side, I tried to keep my overbearing tendencies in check.

Nick’s phone came alive on the table. He snatched it up and unlocked the screen, smiling as if he’d got good news. Slumping against the back of the couch, he went on to type the reply, so engrossed in the task he missed Jay’s return.

Fin snickered into his fist. Nick was the perfect target for a prank, aka Jay scaring him shitless.

“Fire!” Jay yelled, flopping on the couch by Nick’s side. The impact sent the phone flying out of Nick’s hands. Luckily, it landed on the carpet and not something hard that’d crack the screen.

Nick swore under his breath and reached for his cell, but Jay picked it up first.

“Here, don't cry.” He extended the gadget to Nick, smirking. 

Nick’s face flushed. I’d blame it on the July heat, but there was an overt tremor in his hand. Something was definitely up, and Jay sensed it.

He took a step back and lifted his arm, putting the phone out of Nick’s reach.