52. Finally Over

I often didn't appreciate the calm much until the quiet moments became rare. Now, as I lay in Jim's arms, studying the list in my notebook, and he tried to write the lyrics to his new song, it felt as if we were wrapped in a cozy bubble.

Too bad we both knew it wouldn't last.

Sighing, I put the notebook aside. Jim stopped scribbling and angled his face toward me. I pressed my lips to his and cupped his jaw in my palm.

"I can't make up my mind."

A chuckle vibrated in his chest. "Look how tables have turned, cute little thing. From having zero agents to having two and needing to decide who's a better fit."

"Hey." I nudged his ribs. "Don't make it sound like I'm picky. I'm not, and I like them both for different reasons."

"Let's hear the reasons," Jim said.

I picked up my notes and made myself comfortable, nestling into his side.

"I like Madison for her experience. She knows the market, and the books of several authors she represented became bestsellers. But then, Eliana has an impressive portfolio too. Plus, she's represented authors across different genres and achieved a lot being in her thirties."

Jim hummed an okay, kissing the top of my head. "What does Virginia think?"

"She likes them both. She heard good things only. So, she told me to go with my gut; no surprise there. But my gut has no clue. God, this is hard. Why do I even have options? It's like choosing what book to read next, except my career depends on my choice."

Jim massaged my scalp. "Okay. Professional stuff aside, who do you get along with better? Whose vibe do you like more?"

"Eliana is so energetic it's contagious. And although she's enthusiastic about my stuff, she doesn't sugarcoat stuff, but I feel that she's committed to turning me into a published author. Madison is very nice too, but we didn't click, or maybe it's just the first impression."

"First impression matters too. You'll work with this person for a while, and maybe being young helps her know what's hot now. Do you like any of the writers she represented."

"Quite a few, actually. Harper and I loved a series, and the writer was Eliana's client. But several mysteries I loved were written by Madison's clients as well. See? Not an easy choice."

"No, it's not." Jim took the notebook from my hands and closed it before putting it aside. "But think of it this way. If two agents loved your work, someone else will, too. It's only a matter of time before you're signing your books at a store. And I think deep down you already know who to choose."

I laced my fingers with his. "What if I make a mistake? I have a history of making shitty choices, at least in friends."

I failed to stop the bitterness from creeping into my voice. Tasha had been on my mind for days, and no matter how much I tried to distract myself, my thoughts kept circling back to everything she did to harm us both. I still had no clue why, but we were going to see detective Navarro in the morning. From what he told Jim, they had everything they needed.

"We aren't responsible for other people," Jim said. "And it's not your fault someone you trusted turned out to be an awful person. It could've happened to anyone."

I swallowed the lump that had taken permanent residence in my throat. "I just wish that anyone hadn't been me."

***

The following day started with me sending an email to Eliana, announcing my decision to work with her. Her immediate cheerful response lifted some of the weight off my shoulders. Another polite email to Madison telling her I was thankful for her interest in me but opted for a different agent, and it was all settled.