46. The Shoes

February

February

The news Ava gave me was like snowfall in July. Almost a week later, it still felt as if I was dreaming with my eyes wide open. Sometimes, doubts about me having what it took to be a good father crept in, and other times, the stress of knowing the band would keep me away from home and my family made me spend the night staring at the ceiling.

Dad was coming today, and Ava was staying at Harper’s because she wanted us to have a proper guys’ day. No matter how many times I told her she didn’t have to, she wouldn’t budge. But then again, maybe she needed a friend other than me by her side. Harper was the only one who knew, and Alan was attending a conference in another city, giving the two of them a chance to hang out alone.

The guys and I strolled down a busy street downtown. I had a meeting before dad would be here, and my bandmates would have lunch at a steakhouse. Jay and I dodged a cluster of high schoolers and stopped, waiting for Nick and Fin to catch up. A display in a store window caught my eye. Baby stuff in all shades of pink and blue. I stared at the tiny shoes that would fit in half of my palm. Blue. Would we have a son or a daughter?

“Dude,” Jay said beside me.

I looked at him. “Huh?”

“You zoned out, Jimmy boy. I said why don’t you join us for lunch later.”

I glanced at the shoes again. Jay whistled. “No fucking way. Are you—”

“Jay.” I glared at him. “It’s recent, okay? You know nothing.”

A grin stretched his lips. “Fuck a duck, O’Brien. Congrats. If you need pointers, I’m your man.”

I punched his side. “Sure. Thanks.”

Nick and Fin walked over, and Jay nodded toward a restaurant across the street. “We’ll be there, okay? Text us when you’re done if you want.”

“My dad’s coming later,” I said. “Not sure I'll have time, but I’ll see you at the rehearsal tomorrow.”

“See you.” Nick gave me a half-hug and started to cross the street, followed by the guys. Jay threw me a wink over his shoulder, and I resumed the stroll.

Five minutes later, I stepped into Coffee Maniac. The PI I’d hired, Kirk, was already there, people-watching from the table in the back. Nothing was remarkable about his appearance—average height and build, short brown hair with hints of gray—and I doubted anyone could tell he was the guy people paid to dig out info.

I asked the server for an espresso and sat across from him.

“Jim.” He extended his hand, and I shook it. “I've got a few things to tell you.”

“I’m all ears.”

Kirk drummed his fingers on the table. “The vehicle. I know someone at the police, and they checked the plates.”