Chapter 16: Sailing to unknown

Legolas was true to his words. The three weeks of staying in Lorien after their marriage were true bliss for both Nestarel and Legolas. They would stay in their room tangled in each other or walking in gardens and woods hand in hand. Sometimes they would take Gimli with them. The Dwarf has become so fond of Elves especially Lady Galadriel and would enjoy their company. A great friendship had bloomed between Legolas and Gimli. Legolas was doing his best to always make Nestarel laugh and seeing her happiness made him happy as well. But the time of joy soon ended.

Nestarel opened her arm and brought her hand inside of the hurrying waters that were passing their small boat. She moved her fingers inside the silky texture of the cold water. Her mind was filled with memories of her last conversation with Lady Galadriel before they set off from the safe land of Lorien this noon. Her other hand went to her chest and touched the pendant that was now dangling from her neck.

"For you Nestarel Umariel, I have this." said Galadriel and her hands reached behind Nestarel's neck and clasped a delicate silver chain around her neck. Nestarel looked down and saw a beautiful raindrop diamond pendant. The white jewel was shining like a little star and was emitting warm waves inside of her. She then looked up and her eyes met the kind and warm eyes of Galadriel. 

"This is one of the few things that I have brought with me from Undying lands the days of great departure of the Elves." said Galadriel softly. She touched the stone and the diamond shone a bit under her touch. "It was made by Feanor the great himself. He would put his power and love into everything that he was creating. In this special one, he had put a bit of Telperion's dew."

Nestarel's eyes grew wide a bit. Galadriel caressed her cheek lovingly. "You are going to continue your journey to the unknown. What awaits you in the future even I can not see." she said. "But surely you will encounter dark times as well but this time you are not alone." she said and then gazed somewhere else.

Nestarel followed her gaze and her lands fell of Legolas who was loading their stuff into the boat. A small smile formed on her lips and she felt warm feelings in her heart. No. She was not definitely alone.

"Also I want you to keep this necklace. May it be the light of our beloved tree help you to defeat the darkness that is hunting you."  

Gimli's loud sigh brought her out of her memories. She looked at the back of the Dwarf who had sat in front of her. She had lost count of the times he had sighed. Something was wrong with him. "Are you fine, Gimli?" she asked softly and put her hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. 

Gimli sighed again. "I have taken my worst wound at this parting," he said. "Having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Haugh, henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it is her gift to me."

Nestarel smiled warmly. She knew what he was talking about. He was afraid of the sorcerer inside of Lorien, and now he was leaving there bewitched. She turned her head a bit and looked at Legolas's smiling face who was guiding the boat with a paddle. They both chuckled soundlessly.

"What was it?" asked Legolas.

"I asked her for one hair from her golden head." sighed Gimli. "She gave me three." 

Nestarel bent and placed a kiss on his wiled auburn head. "Do not let the grief of departure ruin your memories from her and trouble your heart." she said. "Keep her memories in your heart like a treasure and live a happy life Gimli son of Gloin. Know that the blessings of Lady is always with you." 

"Ah, You are right, lassie." said Gimli. "I will keep those memories in the safe of my heart."

Nestarel smiled slightly and looked around her. The sun grew misty as the day grew old, until it gleamed in a pale sky like a high white pearl. Then it faded into the West, and dusk came early, followed by a gray and starless night. Far into the dark quiet hours, they floated on, guiding their boats under the overhanging shadows of the western woods. She couldn't help but feel unsafe. The feeling had become worth with every inch that they get away from Lorien. She was feeling like they were being watched by evil eyes. She shivered a bit and wrapped her cloak tightly around her. Fear was creeping slowly into her heart. She tried to throw away bad thoughts. Hope was the only thing she needed, but as they went with the wide hurrying waters, it was fading in her heart and she couldn't help it at all.