Chapter 12: Journey in the dark

A/N: One thing to say. The italic paragraphs are thoughts, memories or dreams. The first italic paragraph of this chapter, for example, is a dream :)

--------------------------------------------

Nestarel had stood in the healing rooms, ordering the tools aimlessly. Her thoughts were somewhere else. It was late at night. She was so distressed or better to say she was so scared. A great battle had happened in the slops of the lonely mountain. The dragon had been killed and the Orcs of Gundabad had attacked Ere bur. Legolas had gone after Tauriel and the day after the dragon attack, the king had left for the city of dale with his army and supplies for the people of the lake town. She had no news of the war.

Suddenly the doors of the healing rooms got opened. Nestarel jumped and whirled around. What she saw caused a wave of relief to fall on her. Her eyes welled up and her hand went to her lips to silence her sobs. "Legolas!" she said and ran to him who had stood there still in his dirty armor, but she didn't care. Legolas took long strides to her and soon she was in his safe arms. Nestarel hugged him tightly, finally became revealed to see him alive. Legolas buried his face in her fragrant golden hair and took a few deep breaths and instantly calmed down. She had such an effect on him.

"Ellbereth, I was worried for you." said Nestarel and tears ran on her face. "I'm fine. It's alright." said Legolas and tightened his embrace. He knew his next words could have a grave effect on her. "I killed Bolg, Nestarel." he said and felt her shivered in his arms and hugged him tighter. "I thrust my blade in his skull and he then fell and was buried under tons of stone. He can't hurt you anymore."

Nestarel raised her teary eyes and peered into his blue ones. "Thank you." she whispered after a few seconds. Legolas bent and kissed her forehead. "Please, stay safe when I'm gone." he said.

Nestarel furrowed. "You're leaving? Why? The battle has just ended." she said.  Legolas stared at her silently. The only thing he wanted was to bend and kiss her deeply. To spend the rest days of his life living in peace with her. To have her in his arms every night. But something was terribly wrong. He could feel a shadow growing in the darkness of their unawareness. Besides he was not sure of somethings, especially himself. His feelings were complicated. He shook his head. "I'm traveling north to find a ranger. I need time to think, Nesta. I need time to find answers." he said.

Nestarel saw the pain in his eyes. She badly wanted to kiss away his pain and see him carefree again. But she couldn't. She raised her hand and caressed his cheek. Legolas closed his eyes in bliss. "Go, Mellon nin. Go and find your answers. But promise me something." said Nestarel and Legolas opened his eyes. "Promise me that you will come back when you find the answers. Remember that you have a home and some people are waiting for you there.

Legolas smiled and a light gleamed in his eyes. He kissed her forehead again and hugged her tight. "I promise." he said.  Nestarel smiled too. "May my blessings go with you." she whispered. Legolas then kissed her forehead for the last time and then turned and left. When he reached the door he turned and looked upon who was the most beautiful being in his life. Her eyes were tearful once more and she had a beautiful smile on her lips. He saved her image in his mind for the long years when he was wandering in the plains and mountains of Middle Earth with the Dúnedain.

***

Nestarel opened her eyes in the darkness of the Moria. She felt calm and secure. It took her a few moments to realize where she was and what had happened. "I killed Bolg, Nestarel. He can't hurt you anymore." Legolas' words from seventy years ago flowed in her head. "He can't hurt you anymore."