Chapter 32: End of war

Seven days passed. Seven agonizingly slow days. Nestarel was trying her best to distract herself. She was spending most of her time in healing rooms. The healers were so happy to have her and learn new things from the great healer of the Elves.

Loreth was beside Nestarel all the time, making sure she was comfortable and not alone. She had become so attached to the Elven lady. 

Nestarel had fullfilled her promise. She was forcing herself to eat well and rest as much as it was possible for her. Although it was hard for her to sleep in the darkness of night and the empty bed. She had found herself caressing the space where Legolas was sleeping at nights unconsciously. But as she was resting and eating more, her baby bump had become a bit more visible, meaning the baby was growing fine.

Nestarel would spend time with Eowyn as well, trying to comfort her heart. In her visits, she had discovered something that had made her heart warm in those hard days. She had spotted Faramir and Eowyn spending so much time together for they were both in healing rooms and were still recovering. Nestarel could feel a blossom of love forming between the two and that had made her happy.

But as the days passed, she became more silent and hardly even smiling. She would spend more and more time, standing in a garden which had a view to Mordor, just staring and parying. Praying Eru and Valar to help Frodo destroy the ring and her husband come back alive.

It was the morning of the seventh day. The air was still. It was peace before the storm. Nestarel was sure something would happen that day. She was nervous and was feeling nausea. 

"My lady!" Faramir's deep voice brought her out of her trance. She turned to him who bowed politely. "I have prepared a horse in the stables for you. Our army must have reached the black gates by now. I promised Lord Legolas to send you off If something went wrong."

Nestarel nodded and forced a smile. "Thank you, Faramir." she said. "I will never forget your kindness."

Faramir smiled back sadly. He could see the turmoil she was in and his heart hurt to see the kind and wise lady of the Elves like that. She had talked with him a few times in the past week and had made him feel a lot better with her wise words.

Nestarel turned around again and looked in the direction of black gates again. As the hours passed she became more and more anxious. Loreth's efforts to get her to rest or eat were futile. Her sharp and strong Elvish eyesight was helping her to see miles forward. She could see the dark clouds of Mordor coming force and she could see small flying shapes of Nazgul's ride. 

Her heart was beating hard and the scar on her chest was a bit painful. She had stood on the edge with her hands on the short protecting wall. Her knuckles had turned white because of how hard she had grabbed the edge of the wall.

"My lady, please." pleaded Loreth desperately. "You should rest and eat something. You have been standing here for hours."

"Loreth, something is happening," said Nestarel. "I can feel it. I can feel it well. This is the moment we were dreading."

Loreth didn't say anything. She had an odd feeling of worry as well. She stood beside Nestarel and gazed at the mountains which showed the borders of Mordor. Nestarel grabbed Loreth's hand and squeezed it hard. Her heart was beating so fast that she was worried about her baby. She put her other hand on her belly and rubbed it slowly. Do not be worried, my little baby. She thought. I will protect you no matter what.

Suddenly something happened. It was as if the time stopped for a moment. Nestarel felt a sharp pain in her chest and she fell on her knees with a gasp. She felt as if something hot was being pulled out of her chest by force.