Chapter 13: Bridge

Gandalf went to the skeleton and picked the book. He blew the dust from it and opened its fragile pages. "It seems to be a record of the fortunes of Balin's folk," he said. "They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums ... drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming."

Nestarel stood and walked to Legolas and Aragorn. "Something is up. We should leave." she said and her hand went to her sword unconsciously. Suddenly a loud sound raised and everyone jumped and turned to its source. There, beside an open well, Pippin had stood. He had caused a skeleton that was attached to a chain and a bucket fell into a well. An earsplitting sound echoed everywhere in the mines and finally, it stopped. For a moment nothing could be heard expect of their breathing. Pippin was looking at Gandalf with a guilty expression. Gandalf closed the book angrily. "Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity." he said angrily.

Abruptly, they all heard the sound of drums. "Frodo!" said Sam who was looking at Frodo's blade which was glowing blue.

Nestarel's eyes grew wide. "Orcs." Said Aragorn. "Get back! Stay close to Gandalf!" he yelled at hobbits. "Nestarel!" said Legolas. "Stay with hobbits and Gandalf. This is an order." said Legolas and put an arrow in the string. Nestarel nodded and stood next to Gandalf, in front of the hobbits.

Boromir went to the door to close it. At the exact moment, few Goblin arrows pierced the door and they heard a roaring. Boromir closed the doors. "They have a cave-troll." He said.

Legolas and Aragorn helped him to strengthen the door by putting axes and weapons at it. Gimli climbed the tomb and took his ax in his hand. "Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath." said Gimli.

Just a seconds later, the door began to shake and shouting could be heard from the other side of the door. Few more impacts and the door cracked in some places. Legolas shot his arrow which killed a Goblin. Aragorn started to shoot arrows as well. Suddenly the door broke and big Goblins rushed inside followed by a giant cave-troll. One of the Orcs attacked Nestarel. She dodged from his attack and then impaled him in his gut. Then she ran and cut the head of a giant orc who was attacking the hobbits and guide the 4 hobbits to somewhere out of sight.

Suddenly she heard a roar coming from behind. She whirled around and crouched in time and dodged the chain that the troll had thrown toward her. The chain hit the wall behind her and a rain of stones poured on her. She quickly ran toward the giant creature, jumped up and flew toward it with the help of the wall as an anchor and injured the troll's neck and distracted it from the hobbits. The trolls turned to her angrily but before it can attack her two arrows hit him in his arm and back. She had only a time to turn and She engaged with other Orcs and got distanced from the hobbits. She impaled an orc in the gut and when it fell she saw something that made her blood frozen. The troll had attacked Frodo. She tried to go and help him but stopped by two giant Goblins. From the corner of her eye, she saw Aragorn attacked the troll and hit him with a spear, but the troll pulled out the spear, like it was nothing more than a sting and turned to Aragorn Angrily and thrust him away. Aragorn hit the wall hard and fell at the ground unconscious. The troll turned to Frodo and impaled him with the spear. "Frodo! No!" Her own scream echoed in her ears. Rage bubbled in her and she cried and with one movement cut the head of the two Goblins and ran to Frodo. Her eyes burning with tears. "Frodo!" she cried and sat near him and took his limp body in her arms. So she didn't see that Merry and Pippin attacked the troll and Legolas killed it with two arrows. Silence crept back into the room and everyone gathered around her slowly. 

But something was odd for Nestarel. Frodo wasn't dead. She was a healer so she knew this kind of things. She closed her eyes and whispered a spell. Aragorn crawled near them. Suddenly Frodo twisted, opened his eyes and coughed and sat upright.