Chapter 30: carrying hope for future

A/N: This is a long chapter, but bear with it. Great news will be announced at the end :))))

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was dusk when they finally entered the white city. What Nestarel saw clenched her heart. Everywhere was full of debris and dead bodies could be seen. The remaining soldiers were trying their best to clean the paths and take the bodies of Orcs out and clean the city from their filth. 

They reached the healing rooms and Nestarel become sadder at what she saw. There were so many wounded and healers of the city who were trying desperately to tend all of them. Merry and Eowyn had been taken to other rooms. Nestarel knew there was no time to waste. Her healer instincts kicked in. Back in her home, she was a head of healing rooms, so she knew what she had to do. 

She turned to Aragorn and grabbed his arm and looked directly into his eyes. "Now It's time for you to accept your title, Elessar." she said firmly and touched the green jewel on his chest. "The kings of Numenor have the power of healing and I know you possess it as well. Go and help Merry and Eowyn. Bring them back to light and accept the title that has been prophesied for you."

Aragorn looked at her with wide eyes. But then nodded. "I will guide you there, my lord." said Gandalf and gestured for Aragorn to follow him.

When they left, Nestarel grabbed the first healer who looked at her shocked. "You can't tend to all of them like this." she said.

"You are an elf." the healer said still shocked. 

"Yes, but now you need to focus." said Nestarel in her leader healer tone. "Divide the wounded by the level of their injuries so we can have priorities."

"Black shadow." Said a voice from beside her and Nestarel turned to it. She was a middle-aged woman. She bowed to her as her eyes shone a bit at the sight of Nestarel. "My name is Loreth, my lady. It's good to have an Elf helping us." she said and looked at the wounded sadly. "Most of them are not badly wounded. Their sadness, fear, and grief are killing them." She said and a drop of tear rolled on her face.

Nestarel went and sat next to a man who looked to be in sleep but his face was a sickly yellow. She closed her eyes and put her hand on his forehead and whispered a few ancient words. She could somehow see his soul wandering in darkness, so she called him back. She heard a gasp and opened her eyes. It was Loreth who had been gasped, for the man had opened his eyes and was looking at Nestarel. He was still pale but not in a sick way. "My lady. You summoned me." he called.

Nestarel touched his forehead. "Sleep peacefully now." she said. "The darkness has passed. Don't go back there."

The man nodded and closed his eyes and fell to a peaceful slumber this time. Nestarel stood and turned to Loreth. "Divide the patients as I ordered and tent to them in priority. Call as much as aid as you can. I will help as well." she ordered and as Loreth and the other healer ran to do as she said she turned to Legolas and Gimli who were standing there. 

Gimli quickly raised his hands in surrender. "Don't look at me, lassie." he said quickly. "I can't even bandage a small wound without creating more damage. I will go to help clean the city."

Nestarel nodded and Gimli left. "But I need your help, Legolas. Please wash your hands and clean the wounds as much as you can. you are an Elf. You also have healing powers. So use it as well." she said and Legolas ran to do as she said not before kissing her forehead.

So they began to work. Throughout the night, Gandalf and Aragorn had joined them. Nestarel smiled at the sight of him. He had wrapped himself in his cloak and was trying to stay as hidden as possible, but rumors had spread through the city that the right king of Gondor was in the city and he was healing the black shadow, and healers of the healing room were already looking at him with admire and gleam of hope in their eyes.