Chapter 15

I looked at them, they suddenly seemed sad. I strolled towards them, he gave me the keys and requested me to go upstairs. I grabbed the keys and went, the kids wanted to come along but he stopped them. I turned around and gave out forced smile, went ahead, the place hadn't changed a bit. His room was as organized and tidy like it used to be. The positioning of the furnitures hadn't changed, just the cupboards had books rather than guns and mobiles.

A table filled with books, pens he had bought that table for me to study whenever I came by. The table seemed better used by him. Few girls rushed in and closed the door, they were in their early 20s, I used to tutor them before.

"Di we missed you so much. Finally, he brought you here as his wife, we are happy for you both" saying which Divi hugged me tight.

"Yeah, di please don't leave us again. We all got into government colleges because of you, now next you need to help us for-" Naina was about to say something, tears poured out of her eyes.

"Why didn't you bring any baggage? Bhai told me to lend my clothes to you for tonight"

"Yaar bhabi bolo, whatever it is I'm happy that you are here. This Navratri please be my dance partner, we will rock the society"

"Chotu din mein sapne nahi dekha kar, they aren't married can't you all see it. Come on let's go, Di sorry we will leave" Hina came in and took them out. She gave out an uneasy smile and left.

Now I understand why they welcomed me, oh God I think I should leave this place. I don't want to hurt all of them again. I sat on the sofa and looked around, the room still had frames with our pictures. I glanced at each of them closely and I was lost in my memories.

When I was looking at one of the frames, he came in I dropped it the glass broke. It was not my picture, I knelt it was him with a kid and woman. He hurriedly lifted me and placed me on the chair, pieces of glass on my knees didn't hurt at all, I was lost in the days I had spent with Chris and how he was lying down there.

Time passed, people walked in and out and I was lost. A while later, he carried me to the bed, spread the blanket on my body, turned off the lights and left with a kiss on my forehead. I couldn't sleep, I just had the memories of us, coming to and fro in my head. So when is my life going to be less complicated, i thought and i recollected how we first met.

It was one summer evening, i went with my granny to nearby temple on a Saturday i believe. We had just prayed and were doing parikrama when i saw him sitting with his friends below tamarind tree near the temple. I didn't pay much attention then, we took the tirth, kumkum and sat down for a while absorbing the energy in the air. As we walked out my granny noticed the tree and felt like having some tamarind, remembering her childhood days. She had got teeth issues eating a lot of those then, yet she wanted to have them fresh and i couldnt ignore it. I ran towards the tree, the fresh imlis were at a height and so had to resort to the fallen ones. He noticed and handed me the ones they had plucked, i thanked and left without any further talks. 

The next day, we were walking in the park beside the temple and there they were. They had given us enough imlis for the month but looking at the bags we had taken home yesterday, the neighbours requested to get them if possible. I rushed to them and explained them the situation, the boys were upset except for him. He handed over 2 bags this time, i think they had just collected them after climbing and lot of jumpings but they were forced to listen to their elder brother is what i assumed he was then.

"Sorry guys, i wont trouble you from tomorrow. Thank you for all the help" i handed them a box of coconut barfi my granny had made as she too wanted to give them something in return for their help. He initially declined but as the boys got tempted after i opened the box infront of them, they couldnt resist. My granny too watched and gave a bright smile, they thanked her.