Reborn

"And now we're going to learn a lesson about love!" Alana, her nature loving teacher, announced by clapping her hands together.

Noelle's ten year old face was a mixture between incredulous and disbelief. What in the world did love have to do with anything? Wasn't she supposed to be learning more about the Serafin lineage or did Alana just get tired of talking about their 'family' history and wanted a new change of pace? And why love of all things?

"Don't worry," Alana giggled at the expression on the girl's face. Honestly, that sort of expression did not suit a ten year old at all. "We'll return to our regular lessons after I get this important fact out of the way."

"Love is important?" Of course Noelle knew about the whole two people falling in love and eventually making a family, but how was it going to help her with her task?

Besides, that sort of thing was impossible for her now.

"Of course! Love makes the world go round!"

There was complete silence save for the sound of birds singing their morning songs to each other.

Alana rolled her eyes at her student. "Alright, alright." She sighed; honestly, Noelle had no sense of humour. "I'll tell you this right now: whatever you do, don't fall in love."

Noelle had been expecting a long winded speech on how love was the most wonderful thing in the world and that if everyone knew how to embrace it, there would be world peace every where, there would no famine and there would be no pointless wars and unnecessary bloodshed. She certainly did not expect her laid back and easy going teacher to tell her NOT to fall in love.

In fact, wouldn't she have encouraged it?

"Our time in this world is limited." Alana continued, a sad smile on her face and her eyes glazing over as she looked past Noelle into the distance making the girl wonder if that was something that happened to her teacher; she fell in love with someone. "That's why it's usually discouraged to fall in love with someone in this world."

"So there isn't any rule saying you can't?"

"Yes. But you would be much better off if you didn't give your heart to someone as that someone would be better off not giving their own heart to you." She sighed. "In the end, the both of you would only end up being hurt."

Noelle nodded slowly; that made sense. She wanted to ask about the pained expression on her teacher's face but thought better of it and kept her mouth shut.

"Don't worry. I never fell in love when I was still alive so for definite I'm not going to fall in love in this world!"

Alana reached out and ruffled her hair. "I hope so, Noelle. For your sake and theirs'." She smiled sadly. "But we're much more complicated than that. You cannot predict what will happen in the future and you especially can't predict your own heart."

0000

Noelle walked down the silent street, slowly making her way to school. She had grown used to the routine of going to school, going back home and doing the day's homework that had been assigned to her before heading to the bed where she'd repeat the same thing over again the next day. It was pretty tedious, but then again she wasn't exactly trying to get out and have a social life all on her own.

The only thing remotely close to her going out and having fun were the times she went to the sushi bar that Yamamoto's dad owned for dinner or Kyoko and Hana inviting her out to do something with them.

Stretching her arms up into the sky, Noelle could feel something running towards her fast. She glanced over her shoulder before immediately throwing herself to the side fast. She collided into a brick wall and she was sure that her action would leave some bruising that she wouldn't see until later on, but it was a heck of a lot better than getting run over by a blue boxer clad boy running down the street at light speed.