Part Thirteen: Its Always The People We Love Most

"Newt!" You cried out as you walked up the stairs of the building. "Newt!"
You had been looking for the boy for a solid five minutes but he obviously didn't want to be found. Whatever happened with his sudden outburst, it had something to do with his arm, you knew it. You climbed up the stairs knowing that the only place you hadn't looked was the roof.
When you made it up, you walked through the doorframe, the sunlight beaming through. It didn't take you long to find him, he was sitting on the ledge of the building, dangling his legs over the edge. You took a deep breath and walked over to him. He seemed so at peace as he looked over the ruined parts of the city. A part of you didn't want to disturb his peace, but you needed answers.
"Newt?" You said softly and for a second, you thought he couldn't hear you, but then he turned to face you.
"I'm sorry, I can't express how sorry I am for what I did." Newt said and you took another breath as you looked down at the boy.
"What was that. And don't lie, I'll know if you are, trust me." You told him and it looked as if Newt was trying to build up his courage.
"Well," Newt said, rolling up his right sleeve slowly. "I guess I can't hide this anymore."
You felt your skin go pale, your blood run cold, your heart stopped beating for a second, and you went completely numb. It was as if your whole world was crashing down. You tried to speak but no words came out.
You looked at the blondie's arm and saw the black veins extending all the way up. He had the flare. Newt had the flare.
"(Y/n)..." Newt tried but you took a step back, feeling your breath hitch in your throat.
"No." Was all you could muster. "No, no, no, no..."
"Love, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't tell you before." Newt said but you looked at him angrily.
"Why didn't you? Why didn't tell me? How long have you known?!" You yelled and Newt stood up so that he was level with you.
"I swear not too long." Newt reasoned.
"But you knew when you gave me your word, right? Or am I wrong?"
"I'm sorry, I never should have used those words." Newt apologized but you were still fuming.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't think it would make a difference." Newt responded and you scoffed. "I'm serious (Y/n). All I know is that WICKED must have put me in that Maze for a reason, maybe it was literally just to tell the difference between people like me and Immunes like you."
It was his voice, his voice broke you. All the times that you have been hurt or scared or sad, Newt was there comforting you. You realised that it was time you comforted him. You could get mad as much as you wanted but it wouldn't change a thing. He had the flare, that's that. But all hope wasn't lost.
You took a deep breath and got rid of any of your anger. You had to be strong for him like he had for you. You looked at Newt but he was looking at the ground, he couldn't bare to look you in the eyes. You walked forward and he lifted his head, but he couldn't do anything before you engulfed him in a massive hug. At first, he was afraid, afraid that he'd hurt you again. But eventually, the boy caved and hugged you back.
"I'm so sorry." He told you but you shushed him.
"No, don't be, it's okay." You said. "I'm sorry for getting mad. You know we can fix this." You said but this made Newt pull away. The boy met your eyes and looked at you seriously.
"Don't worry about me." Newt said but you sighed.
"Newt..."
"This is about Minho, and now he needs us. You know that. So if there is even the slightest chance that we can save him, get him out, then we have to take that. No matter what the cost." Newt told you and you could feel the tears streaming down your cheek. Newt took his thumb and whipped them away. "I need to hear you say you understand."
"I can't."
"Please." Newt pleaded. "I need you to give me your word."
"I... Newt-"
"Did I ever tell you how I got my limp?" Newt asked and that took you off guard. "No, I don't think I have." Newt said as he gently brought you over to the ledge again and you both sat, Newt in the same position as before while you sat crisscrossed.
"You see," Newt began. "It was way back in the Maze and I had just come up from the box. You know how it goes. You feel so alone and scared, then that box opens and you can't figure out whether you should be relieved that there are people or terrified cause you don't know who they are or who you are."
"Yeah, it sucks." You commented and Newt laughed slightly.
"After time, you'd think those feeling would go away, that eventually I'd feel like I was someone again. But as the time went by, I felt more and more alone and empty." Newt told you and you looked at him, but he stared outward. "The feeling never went away. So one day, I snuck into the Maze on an early morning and found the tallest wall. Climbed up as much as possible, then, I jumped." Newt looked at you but you didn't say a word. "Well, like a true shank, my leg got caught in the ivy and snapped in three places. I thought I was done for, that was, until Minho found me. The bloody slinthead carried me all the way back to the Glade and we never told anyone what happened. Minho saved me and gave me a second chance at life. Now, I have to save him, but I need you to give me your word that you'll save him at all costs." Newt told you and you took a deep breath.
"Alright, you have my word, Minho comes first." You assured him and he nodded.
"Thank you, I know it isn't easy." Newt said and you sighed.
"I'm sorry you felt that way." You told him and Newt smiled, laughing lightly again.
"You know, it never truly went away, that feeling, until someone in my life came along and changed my whole perspective." Newt said and you furrowed your eyebrows in confusion.
"Really? Who?"
"You actually." Newt said and you felt the butterflies come back in your stomach.
"Me?" You asked and he nodded.
"I don't know what it is about you, but, you make me happy." Newt said and you could feel your face turn red. "Anyway, we better get back to the others. I need to apologize to poor Tommy." Newt said, rising to his feet and you did the same.
"Newt?" You said and the boy looked at you. "You know that nothing will stop me from trying to save it you as well." You said and he nodded, extending his left hand out and you took it.

You were with Brenda, cleaning your guns while you waited for Gally to come back with your parts in the mission. You cleaned out your beretta but every now and then you caught Brenda looking at you. Eventually it got on your nerves.
"What?" You said when you caught the girl looking at you again.
"Are you okay?" She asked and you looked at her with a confused expression.
"Yeah, why?" You asked but Brenda leant over the table and put her hand on your shirt. She pulled down gently to show the dark bruises on your chest.
"That's not okay." She said and you sighed.
"I know." You said, covering it back up again. "It's difficult to explain."
"It's obvious that it wasn't him." Brenda said. "Trust me, I had the flare. I know what it looks like." Brenda said and that made your head shoot up. She knew?
"You, but, how?" You asked but the girl smiled softly, resting her elbows on the table.
"Like I've said, I've been infected, I know what it looks like."
"I'm worried about him." You said and Brenda nodded.
"I know you are." The girl said and you sighed heavily. "We're going to figure this out you know."
"I don't know anything anymore." You said and Brenda sighed.
"You should confess your feelings for him." Brenda suddenly said snd you looked at her like she was crazy.
"I don't know what your talking about." You said quickly but Brenda scoffed.
"What a lie. You can see it a mile away, you like him." She said. "Don't waste your time (Y/n), tell him, before you can't."
Before you could respond to the girl, Gally came in the room.
"Hey, can you guys join me and the others in the meeting room? We're discussing the plan." Gally said and you nodded, rising to your feet.

You and Brenda followed in after Gally and found everyone in the room again. You made your way over and stood next to Newt who looked at you with a kind look in his eyes. You turned to Gally who seemed to be glaring at the blondie.
"Alright, so we are going to get Teresa tonight. Here's what's gotta happen, Fry, Jorge, and Brenda, I need you to memorize the maps. Find out where you have to be for tonight."
"We've got it." Fry assured.
"Alright, Newt and Thomas, you two get the uniforms ready for when we return with Teresa."
"Good that." Newt replied but Thomas seemed taken aback.
"Gally, I thought I was going with you to get Teresa?" The brunette asked but Gally shook his head.
"No, I'll be taking (Y/n). Let's just say that she'll get the job done, not matter what." Gally replied and you nodded. Thomas sighed but agreed.
"Alright, then let's move."