Part Twenty-Four: The Ratman

You ran through the city, heading straight back to the place you had just escaped from. You ran by people who were fighting and fleeing. You watched as cars and building blew up or were set to flames. There was one thing you knew for sure, and that was WICKED had lost. Whether the people from the ruined city had won was yet to be seen. Maybe in the end, the message is that no one really wins.
You watched as guards ran through the streets, shooting at anyone in sight. You knew that if they saw you, you were done for. You ran into the nearest dark alleyway and waited for them to pass. You waited for a minute and then concluded that it was safe. You looked left and then right, then you ran forward to the building that you were looking for.
You bolted for the doors, forcing them open and looking around frantically. You hoped to god that Teresa wasn't lying or else you threw Thomas into danger for no reason. All Thomas wanted to do was save Newt, so all of this better be worth it.
You ran out into the middle of the main floor and looked around but no signs of Thomas. You noticed that the war outside was becoming more aggressive as the explosions got louder and the ground shook more vigorously. You knew how this was going to end, and you knew that you didn't want to be in this building when it did.
"You should have run Thomas." You heard a familiar horrible voice say, and you looked up to see Janson aiming a gun at the floor. It didn't take you much to figure out that he had somehow gotten ahold of Thomas. You also recognised what level they were on. Level twenty.
You watched helplessly as Janson grabbed Thomas and threw the boy over his shoulder and carried him off to a hallway you couldn't follow.
"Ugh shucking klunck!" You mumbled as you looked around frantically. At some point you spotted the elevator. You quickly threw away that idea because the power was out. You looked around the empty desolate room. Your eyes laid upon a door that read Emergency Staircase.
You rushed over and forced the door open, bolting inside. You stopped in front of the stairs and then looked up, seeing how high you'd have to go. You sighed heavily, stretching out a little.
"After this, I'm done with stairs." You said, and then ran up each step as fast as you could.

The floors of this building were way higher than you expected, or maybe you were just so tiered that it slowed you down. You came to the conclusion that it was both. After about ten minutes though, you finally made it to level twenty. You forced open the door and were immediately faced by a window that showed the burning city.
You watched in pure shock as a building came crumbling down to the ground. Half of the city has already been burnt to a crisp and it wouldn't be long until they hit this building too. You knew that they were saving the WICKED building for last.
You shook away from those thoughts, all you knew was that you needed to get to Thomas before Janson did anything to him. You didn't know what he wanted with the brunette, whether it was get the cure or kill him, all you knew was that it didn't matter.
You knew Teresa had to be here as well, there was no way she wasn't. To get the cure she needed the labs and equipment that the WICKED building could provide. You also knew this wasn't Teresa setting him up, a part of you believed that Teresa wanted redemption, that she had chosen your little rebel group over WICKED. But you wouldn't know until you found them.
You ran over to where you had spotted Janson and Thomas before, but you were shocked to find someone else. In front of you laid Ava Paige, dead as she bled out on the floor from a bullet wound in the chest. Whether it was Thomas who did it or someone else, it didn't matter. You never wanted her life to be taken, she, like Teresa, had good intentions, but in the end they did it all the wrong way. In the end, like you've come to terms with, no one ever wins. There is never someone who is right or wrong. What Ava Paige supported was right, find a cure. What she did to get it was wrong, torture Immune kids.
You turned away from the body and ran down the hallway that Janson had brought Thomas down. The sounds of explosions and shots being fired were muffled by the walls. Though, you could still clearly hear the crumbling of buildings. They shook the building with each massive debris that hit the ground. There was still lights in the halls of the medical floor, probably back up generators or something.
You bolted around, looking through the glass door of each room. There were bullet holes in the walls and doors from when you, Newt, and Thomas were running through here just hours ago. It was funny to think that only hours ago, all this mission was was a rescue. Now, it was way more than that. You shook away from your thoughts once more and continued looking for your partner in crime.
That always seemed to be the case with you and him, have crazy plans and do stupid things. Even though both had the plans, everyone always seemed to look to you for answers. But like you've learned already and come to terms with, you were the leader, that's what they all saw you to be. Sometime, you acted like a leader without knowing it.
You were suddenly distracted when you heard the fighting grunts of a familiar man.
Thomas.
You took a right and ran through the empty abandoned hallway. You made it halfway through when you skidded to a stop. You pressed your body against a wall and poked you head into a room and saw the three vary people you were looking for.
Janson was talking to Thomas who was retrained to a chair while Teresa was working with some chemicals. You noticed Teresa raise her head and look at you, suddenly, her eyes widened in shock. You put your finger to your closed lips and she nodded, finishing up on her blue serum. It had to be the cure, the question is, what did Janson want with it? He didn't seem to be the type of person to care about others.
Teresa glanced back at the two boys having their little chat and then turned to you. She then jerked her head to the left, indicating for you to come in. You looked back at Janson, and then quickly slid into the room without being noticed. You hid behind the table Teresa was working on and she looked down at you.
"Of course, hard choices are going to be made." Janson said as he walked over to Teresa. She began shaking as he got close, clearly she was scared you were going to be caught. "In time, the flare virus will burn itself out. The only question is... who will be the ones left standing." He said, grabbing the blue vial from Teresa. The girl glanced at you again and then motioned to the big empty glass beaker sitting on her desk. You nodded, understanding what she was getting at. You grabbed the beaker and waited for the perfect time to strike.
"And thanks to this," Janson said, walking in front of Thomas. "We finally get to choose a future of our own making." Janson then put the blue vial into a small machine what was to be injected into someone's skin. The man then lifted his sleeve to reveal the black veins climbing up his arm. He had the flare.
Of course he did. He did all this to benefit himself, surprise surprise.
"Now!" Teresa whispered aggressively under her breath and you stood tall. You watched as Janson was about to drive the machine into his arm. You missed what he said as you smashed the beaker over the man's head. Janson hit the floor hard and you backed up slightly as the glass shattered. You looked up to Thomas and he looked at you wide eyed with shock.
"Miss me?" You asked with a smirk and Thomas laughed slightly. Then he remembered when he left you last.
"Newt..."
"He's fine, but there was a struggle." You said and it was then that Thomas noticed what a mess you were with your crazy hair, skin soaked in sweat and dirt, and clothes ripped and stained. "Teresa, help me get him out of these!" You told her and Teresa came around the other side of the brunette, unclipping the restraints that held the boy in.
"What happened out there?" Thomas asked but you shook your head.
"A lot of stuff that we can talk about later, but for now, let's worry about getting out of here." You told him once you finished with your side and getting Thomas's right hand free.
"(Y/n), get the serum!" Teresa told you and you looked down to see the device sitting on the floor. You picked it up and then stood up straight again, but based on the look of horror on Teresa's face, you could only assume what was coming next.
Suddenly, you felt hands grab at the back of your neck and send you flying backwards and over a table. You knocked down chemicals and glass bottles with you as you went over. You fell to the ground hard and felt your head smash into the tile floor.
"(Y/N)!" Thomas yelled and you quickly recovered, standing up but meeting face to face with Janson. He grabbed you by the shirt and began smashing your head against the glass wall. You heard the small cracks against it and you got very irritated.
Again!? This whole glass thing is really starting to tick me off!
Janson brought your head back one more time, but before he could smash you against the wall again, you swiftly turned around and drove your fist into his jaw. He stumbled back and you threw the cure over to Teresa. Once the man recovered, he looked up only to find you charging at him and smashing him through the glass.
The both of you fell atop the scattered pieces of glass and you'd think that the amount of times you have been smashed against glass that'd you'd be used to it. You looked up, trying to recover, but Janson got to his feet faster. You were on your hands and knees when the man kicked you in the gut, sending you back to the floor.
"I'm gonna enjoy this you little bi-"
The man was suddenly cut off when Thomas came out of no where and tackled Janson to the ground. You slowly got up, gripping your stomach, when Teresa came to help you up. She brought you back to your feet and you nodded your thanks. Then, you turned to Thomas who had pinned the man against the wall. Janson then tripped the boy and wrapped his belt around his neck, choking Thomas.
You only had one shot, so you took it. You took a large shard of glass and impaled the man in the shoulder. He let go of Thomas quickly and screamed in agony. You pushed Thomas to the side before Janson could hurt him more. The man pulled back his fist and nailed you across the face. You took it and then landed your own punch against his nose. Janson then grabbed your hair and pulled you towards him, driving his knee into your gut. You were already weak enough after everything you had been through, you didn't know how much more you could take.
Janson threw you down the hallway and you rolled across it winded. You watched as the man pulled out his gun and aimed it for you. That was the moment you knew it was over. Janson was going to fire, there was nothing stopping him and there was nothing you could do. That was, until you noticed the flaming objects shooting towards the building.