Chapter 2

Eisa was glad to be in New Orleans.

She slept in a familiar and comfortable bed, had a plentiful breakfast, and even got some good wine on the side with perfectly cut fruit.

"Oh, I had a marvelous slumber, Bex," she announced, seeing her sister looked less satisfied than her as she came to meet her in the kitchen. "I don't understand why you're so pouty, we ought to be celebrating!"

"No, we ought to be planning," said Rebekah sharply, watching Eisa down the rest of her wine. "We need to divide up tasks. One of us needs to be here with Hayley at all times."

"So make it be Nik."

"Nik's already gone to do the dirty work. It's between you and me. You ought to stay here with her. Let her get to know you."

Eisa scowled. "Bex, you told me to come so we could get Elijah back. You said nothing of babysitting! Besides, you already waved my entire life story in her face, what more is there for her to learn about me? You've made it quite clear that I'm a menace. She wants nothing to do with me."

"You're her baby's auntie whether she likes it or not. You used to love children."

"Emphasis on used to. After raising an ungrateful bunch, a person tends to dislike having motherly inclinations."

Rebekah smacked her on the back of the head. "Stay with her, Eisa, it's just for today! Marcel can't know you're back yet, or his vampires will be scouring the city."

"How can you be sure he doesn't already know?"

Rebekah tensed, and slammed her hand on the counter. "Eisa, what did you do?"

With an innocent look, Eisa popped a strawberry into her mouth. "Nothing."

"Eisa, I said lay low! I'd already killed eight of Marcel's nightwalkers!"

"Well, yes, and then I decided, what's the harm of killing four...teen more?"

"Are you bloody serious? You're not making this easy for us!"

"Oh, come now, Bex," she groaned, leaning back in her chair. "Don't be so dramatic. They deserved it! I stopped at one of the nightclubs and they asked if I was the stripper before saying all these disgusting things. I told them that being a sex worker is a perfectly respectable job, and they laughed. I decided I had to end them."

"Cut the Robin Hood crap, you've just never given a damn about following instructions, Eisa!"

"I'm a psychopath, darling, of course I like to break rules. Besides, you're no better, Bex, you only appear so because you're better at acting. I prefer not to be fake for long periods of time. My work is quick and efficient. It's why they always sent me to get information, and not you."

"You know they sent you because you were the oldest and they still saw me as a baby."

"That, too. You and Nik hardly told me what you were planning, so until I hear exactly what you want me to do, I'm going to act however I please, within reason. Got it?"

Rebekah rubbed her forehead. "All I need you to do at this moment is keep Hayley safe. She's linked to that witch Sophie, remember? You used to be a witch, you'll be able to spot if anyone's up to something with her. I need to go and find that attic the brat Davina knocked me out of. You can't help with that, so I implore you, Eisa, stay. At least for a little while."

Eisa glared at her. "Fine. But I don't want to be stuck inside the entire time we're in this godforsaken city."

At that moment, Hayley came downstairs, causing the two vampires to face her. "You two are really loud. I didn't plan to wake up for another hour."