Chapter 30

Eisa went to see Finn as soon as she woke up.

"Here you go," she said, bringing him some breakfast, and letting him sit at a coffee table.

"Wonderful," he said bitterly. "Another night shackled to the wall."

"I wouldn't have done it if I could trust you wouldn't try to run off."

"Why support him, Eisa? What benefit does this bring you?"

"Maybe I'd simply prefer to trust that my little brother is finally going to be better. He has been. He hasn't made a single dagger threat to me since I arrived in this city. That's an improvement, whether you acknowledge it or not."

Finn held up his hand. "Sister, all I ask is that you acknowledge me, too. Here. Go into my mind. See my memories of what I mentioned last night."

She made a face. "What are you talking about?"

"See what I saw, the night our mother gave Freya away. It's the only way to ensure that you fully believe me."

She took his arm.

She was seeing through Finn's eyes, snow and the scenery of Norway, which Eisa had never seen as a child.

"Please, do not do this!" she heard her mother begging as an unfamiliar brunette tugged viciously at the arm of a small, blonde girl, who was crying.

"You wanted a family!" snapped the other woman, who Eisa figured was Dahlia. "Fate said otherwise, and so you came to me. And for a price, I granted your wish." She pulled the little girl's arm for emphasis. "Now, I must collect."

"When Mikael returns from his journey," said Esther, "I swear—"

"You will tell him Freya grew ill and died!"

"No, Dahlia!"

"You were forced to burn her body to stop the spread of plague—"

"Sister, please, I cannot give up my child!"

"You've already offered me more than just this one child!" Dahlia corrected her. "Our bargain was for this first-born, and every first-born of each generation that is to come, for as long as your line shall last."

Freya was sobbing, and Finn was reaching to her. He looked up, and Eisa could see that a pregnant Esther was holding a baby in her arms. Her.

"If you do this," said Esther, "if you take my daughter, I swear to you, I will return to the black arts. I will grow in power as a witch, and I will MAKE YOU PAY!"

"Your power is nothing against mine!" spat Dahlia, causing Finn to stare at her again. "Foolish girl. You knew the bargain you made! And, should you defy me, then I will take all your children. Including little Finn!"

Finn started to bawl, squeezing his eyes shut. Dahlia continued, "And tiny Eisa. Even unborn Elijah!"

"No, Dahlia!" Esther cried.

Dahlia plucked Freya off the ground, restraining her and beginning to walk away.

"NO!" screamed Esther.

"MOMMY!" Freya cried out, reaching for her.

"Dahlia!" Esther cried. "Freya— please!"

"MOMMY!" Freya screeched again, until she and Dahlia were both out of sight.

Eisa burst out of the memory, staring at Finn, horrified. "Oh my god," she whispered.