Chapter 8

Hayley's condition was not improving.

"It still feels like I'm being microwaved," groaned the wolf after finishing her iced tea. "Is Elijah—?"

The door opened, and Rebekah yanked both Elijah and Sophie in. "I have the herbs," the blonde announced. "Now, Eisa, can you tell me why the bloody hell it was necessary to bring this witch into our home when she's the reason we're in this mess in the first place?"

"The closer she is to Hayley, the easier it will be for Davina to break the link," said Eisa impatiently. "Additionally, we need to know when the link has been broken, and be able to test it. Not to mention Sophie is a witch, and our best bet at fixing this."

"You were a witch, Eisa, why can't—"

"I don't know what else to do!" Eisa snapped. "There's only so much I can get done without magic of my own, so can you shut up and listen?!"

"We need to get her outside," said Sophie, holding her hands up in surrender. "It's nighttime, and it's cooled down, and thankfully, you guys have a pool whose temperature can be regulated. Get it on a cold setting, and give me the herbs, so I can make Hayley something to drink."

Rebekah shoved the herbs into Sophie's hand and bolted out to regulate the pool. Eisa took a cloth and dabbed Hayley's forehead, checking her temperature once more as Sophie frantically started mixing herbs. "So help me, Sophie Deveraux," sneered Eisa, "mix faster, or I will—"

"Done," said Sophie, shoving the last bit of herbs down and pouring the melted ice from the tea in with it. "This should be good. Let's get her outside."

Eisa picked Hayley up again, speeding her out and setting her beside the pool. Elijah and Sophie followed. "Get her in the water," said Sophie, and Eisa sank into the pool, pulling Hayley to stand beside her. Sophie came in with them, holding the cup of herbs. "The water, with the help of the herbs, should cool us both down. Drink."

Hayley drank, and made a face of discomfort, whimpering in pain and holding her belly. "You're going to have to get her heart rate down," said Sophie to Eisa.

"She's clearly panicking, how the ruddy hell do I—?"

"Hold her. It's a natural human remedy to slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure."

Eisa scooped Hayley up bridal style, holding her so that only her face stuck out from the water.

It was like everything else was muffled. All she could hear was Hayley's heartbeat, gradually getting steadier. She forgot her siblings and Sophie were there. Her fear took over, her worries made her choice for her.

She started to sing a Nordic lullaby, one of her hands managing to come up enough to stroke Hayley's face. She rocked her gently, letting her body bob in the water and allowing the small waves to wash over her cheeks.

Elijah and Rebekah were silent, watching the scene playing out in front of them. Neither knew what to say, and they simply looked at one another in confusion, because neither had seen Eisa be this tender with anyone in centuries. This was how they remembered her acting a thousand years ago, before she met the woman who broke her.

Hayley suddenly let out a loud scream, grasping at her stomach. "Hayley," Eisa said, frowning and ceasing her singing. "Hayley, tell me what you're feeling."

"It hurts— it hurts— AHH!"

"I just felt it lift!" Sophie announced, and Hayley let out a gasp, her head falling back. Eisa kept holding onto her, letting her remain in the water as Sophie took off one of her earrings and stabbed her finger with it. Hayley lifted her hand, and found that it hadn't caused her injury.