Chapter 13

Eisa was pleased when Klaus arrived.

"Dearest brethren," he said, finally starting the meeting as he walked in, accompanied by Thierry. "Your attention, please. No doubt, you're all surprised to see Thierry Vanchure, who's supposed to be rotting in the Garden for the crime of killing one of our own, and I personally decided to issue him with a pardon. I hope you'll all welcome home Thierry."

The vampires began to clap, and Eisa watched as Diego and Thierry embraced. "You're in a good mood," Marcel observed. "You should visit Mystic Falls more often."

"What did he do in Mystic Falls?" asked Hayley curiously. "He looks so happy."

"Slept with Caroline," said Eisa with a shrug.

"What the—? How do you know that?"

"He told me."

"Now," Klaus continued, addressing the vampires once more. "As you all know, the witch Davina is no longer with us. Without Davina, we can no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbors. However, since their Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever. Until then, I say we keep them on their toes. Diego, I wonder if you might lead a rousting in the cauldron."

Diego smiled and nodded, moving off to the side for other vampires to join him. Eisa narrowed her eyes, seeing as Klaus and Marcel moved away to have a conversation of their own. Her eyes found Elijah, who was downstairs appearing pensive. She cleared her throat, tapping her nails on the railing, and his gaze flickered up to her. The siblings nodded at each other, then both looked to where Rebekah was exiting the Compound.

"I'll see you, Hayley," said Eisa, patting the wolf's shoulder. "My brother and I need to have a chat with our sister."

The wolf half-smiled. "Stay safe, will you? I need an encore to what you did earlier."

Eisa winked before speeding down to walk alongside Elijah, the two of them following after Rebekah, who heard them because of the click in Eisa's heels.

"Haven't you something better to do?" asked Rebekah in annoyance. "I would think you'd be all over Nik now that he's feigning competence."

"You may doubt him," said Elijah as he and Eisa moved to be on either side of their younger sister, "but today, I saw Niklaus demonstrate mercy towards an enemy. Tell me that's not progress."

Rebekah rolled her eyes. "Please, Elijah. Who do you think convinced Klaus to let Thierry out?"

"Oh, dear lord," said Eisa, scrunching up her nose. "Why would you do that? Don't tell me you've chosen to sleep with Thierry now."

"Obviously not, Eisa. Despite Klaus' reprieve, Thierry despises him. I like that about him. I also like that he used to date a witch, so he knows about French Quarter covens. Maybe he can lead me to whoever stole off with the Harvest magic."

"Not a bad idea," said Eisa. "Considering my spies have still found nothing."

"Sisters," said Elijah gently, "we are all devastated by the outcome of this ritual. However—"

"That's just it," cut in Rebekah. "There was no outcome. We all know that power like that doesn't just vanish. I say someone stole it. I'd like to know who, and then I'd like to make an ally out of them."

"Hold on," said Eisa. "An ally? You do realize that whoever stole that power is likely the culprit behind my kidnapping, yes? To what end—?"

"I'm tired of being threatened and controlled by our tyrant brother. If you want to stop a bully, you need the power to stand up to them."