Chapter 26

The next order of business was to find Davina.

"I'll be off to help Nik with his search after we get all this sorted out," said Eisa to Hayley after running several errands to help her feel better after the events of the previous night. "There isn't much I can do about the witch-wolf-vampire conflict that's kicking Marcel and his students out of Algiers."

"I can't thank you enough for this," said Hayley, handing new toiletries to the wolves who were waiting in line before returning to their rooms. "Seriously, you must have maxed out your credit card by now."

Eisa blinked. "Don't be silly, I don't have a credit card."

"What?"

"I don't need one. I can compel my way into buying anything. Really, I don't need money at all. But we have so much of it, it can go into a debit account that all my siblings have access to. I'm not spending money I don't have. It's all we've accumulated throughout centuries. There's so much of it, we won't need to work... ever. Elijah and Nik started investing some of it, I think."

"Sometimes, I forget how rich you people are."

"How could you forget? I don't wear these glorious outfits just to get you to look at me, Hayley. I like showing off the work of top designers. I'm doing them a favor, modeling for them without expecting to be paid. Though, of course, I havedone paid work."

Hayley nudged her. "It works well for both things. I can never quite get my eyes off of you. Speaking of... do you maybe want to... have some time alone this weekend? Maybe catch a movie, go somewhere nice for dinner, dance at a club? Might help us both feel better about everything."

Eisa offered her a smile. "Alright. Why don't you pick a place you'd like to eat at? As for the film, well, you ought to pick that, too. I've watched so many things, I wouldn't know what to watch next. I'll pick the club. I won't have us enjoying each other's presence in a subpar establishment."

"Deal," said Hayley, blushing as she handed a bar of soap to the nearest wolf.

"BROTHER!" boomed Elijah's voice in the entrance hall. "Niklaus!"

"You do realize that literally everyone in here has supernatural hearing, right?" said Hayley, a bit annoyed.

"Where is Niklaus?" asked Elijah, stopping beside their little table.

Hayley made a face. "I'll check his calendar... wait, no, not his wife, so..."

Elijah was annoyed. "Hayley, this city is under siege by an army of beasts following my deranged mother's every command. Now, considering it was your people who just declared war on my kind, now's not the best time for your particular brand of sass."

Eisa shoved the next bar of soap into his chest. "Watch your tongue when you speak to her," she snapped. "Look around you, Elijah, these wolves who inhabit our home have been respectful. While the other wolves may be lost, they are not at the monstrous level that the Guerreras were. I suggest you refrain from calling them 'beasts.' Hayley is part vampire as well. Don't treat her as though she's being selective about who she supports. She's not happy about what's happening either. Might I suggest you call our brother, to ask if he's still searching for Davina? Yes, that's right, he told us both this morning that that's where he'd be. Clearly, that meant he wouldn't be lounging about here."

Elijah blinked, and Hayley pushed a second bar of soap into his chests. "Like Eisa said, don't call the wolves 'beasts.' They may be under Esther's control, but, like you said, they're my people. So, if you hurt them, your bitch mother will be the least of your problems."