Chapter 17

"Let it begin," said Klaus, perched atop a tomb. "The trial of Rebekah Mikaelson."

"What a relief," Rebekah muttered to her other two siblings. "His ego is in check."

"Just speak your truth," Elijah advised her. "Eisa and I will make certain he behaves himself."

Eisa crossed her arms as Klaus waved around the white oak stake. "You stand accused of betraying your own blood. How do you plead?"

"I plead you to shut up and listen," the blonde snapped.

Klaus quirked a brow. "You summoned our father. You brought him to our home. What possible defense could you have?"

Rebekah bit her lip. "I knew he was the only thing that you feared, and I wanted you to run."

"Because you hated me."

"Because you were hateful. You denied me the freedom to love."

Klaus scoffed. "Oh, so that's your defense? You called Mikael— the Destroyer, the Hunter of Vampires— because I detained you from pursuing some dull suitors."

Rebekah pointed her finger up at him. "You were cruel, and controlling, and manipulative."

"I was trying to protect you!" Klaus attempted to reason. "From imbeciles, and leeches. Not to mention your own poor judgment."

"And what about the one that you loved enough to call friend? Why did you forbid me to love Marcel?"

Klaus's eye twitched. "Do not mention his name."

"What has happened to you?" asked Rebekah. "I remember the sweet boy who made me laugh and gave me gifts, who loved art and music. I wanted to be just like you. How could you have fallen so far?"

Elijah walked a bit closer to Klaus. "You say you despise Rebekah for her betrayal, and yet no one has stood by your side for so long, not even I myself. Perhaps it's you that's forgotten. I remember the day that Father caught you whittling little chess pieces with his hunting knife. He beat you so mercilessly and for so long, I actually feared for your life. It was Rebekah who held up a sword to keep Mikael from continuing his assault."

Klaus sneered. "So, you would paint her as a loyal sister, but she betrayed me out of lust for Marcel. Perhaps that was why you did it— for love. Perhaps I might temper my rage if Rebekah will admit she was a victim of her own idiocy. That her great love, Marcel, used her to oust this family and to take my city."

"Marcel did not manipulate me!" said Rebekah.

"You defend him, and yet you can't help but wonder, what if I'm right?"

"We loved each other. It was your refusal to respect that that led to your ruin."

"Then why didn't he chase after you when you fled New Orleans?" demanded Klaus. "Oh, yes! That's right. He was here stealing what I built!"

Rebekah had teared up. "You want me to renounce Marcel, to beg for your forgiveness? I won't. Marcel is not at fault. I called Mikael."

Eisa covered her face. "This was going so well..."

Rebekah was screaming now. "I was the one who brought him to New Orleans, because of your wickedness! I wanted love and happiness, and you denied me the freedom to have either. Yes, I hated and I was afraid of our father, but he was a lesser evil than you. My bastard brother who loomed over me, threatening me as you are now. I wanted rid of you, and given the choice, I'd do it again!"

Eisa and Elijah had to block Klaus's way before he could stake Rebekah. Eisa would have made a comment about how Rebekah should have just kept her mouth shut during that last bit, but considering she was holding the white oak stake an inch away from her own heart, she decided it was not the time to be saying anything.