Chapter 23ii

Even from her position on the other side of the room, Tahlessa could easily distinguish the look on her son's face as he entered the far door of the solarium. She was seated on a couch beneath a high, ornate window. The window was one of the many that filled the curving south wall of the ladies' solarium, and it presented astonishing views over the plains.

Tahlessa was sitting with her back to it.

Instead, she faced the spacious room, while the other ladies took their mid-day meal, seated at tables, generously arranged around the room's floor. There were more tables, set out for the meal, on the hanging galleries above, beneath the solarium's glass ceiling. The ladies dined quite happily in the shade provided by the giant trees positioned between the tables, and by the fragrant vines that climbed about the room's arching trellises.

Even though she sat in the sun by the window, Tahlessa still felt cold. The scowl on Grifford's face did nothing to alleviate the chill that gripped her insides. The grimace remained as he followed his sister between the tables, his mood palpably grim, until he looked upon the face of his young brother, lying in his cot beside the couch. Then the scowl lightened to nothing, and his frown dissolved. Kralmir gazed back up at his brother, with dark eyes that had that familiar new-born sheen on them like cloud on metal.

"I think he is happy to see you," said Tahlessa.

Grifford looked up at her, and she suddenly felt conscious of her appearance under his gaze. She had seen her reflection in the mirror that morning. Even in the light pouring through the balcony window, her skin had looked pale, and there were still dark hollows under her eyes. Grifford showed no sign of noticing, and looked back down at his new brother, tucked up in his beautifully made cot; a gift from Chief-engineer Garenshik. Tahlia gave the child a cursory glance, then clambered into one of the deep couches facing the window, but Grifford remained, gazing into the cot.

"I saw that scowl on your face when you came in," Tahlessa said, her voice pitched lightly. "It seemed deeper and darker than usual."

"It is nothing, mother."

"He is annoyed about that boy, Tasker," said Tahlia. "We met him in the lift coming up. He and Grifford got into an argument about father again."

"Tahlia!" hissed Grifford.

"About your father?" said Tahlessa, her voice remaining mild, but something had twisted inside her chest.

Grifford stepped away from the cot. Kralmir's eyes followed the movement, and the baby made a questioning gurgle in his throat.

"It is not important."

"Go on," said Tahlessa to her daughter.

"Oh, it was nothing new, but it got my brother riled. You know what he is like."

Tahlessa nodded, frowning.

"Daughter?" she said, after a pause. "Would you be a delight and go and find Kamantha for me. It is time we went to eat."

"But, mother..."

"Please, my dearest, do not argue."

Tahlia scowled, but jumped down from the seat and went in search of her new brother's nursemaid.

When she was gone, Tahlessa turned to Grifford.

"Listen to me, my son, when I ask you to stop your feud with that boy."

"Are you asking me to stand by while he spreads lies about father?"

Tahlessa sighed.

"No. I am asking you to show a little understanding. The actions of Tasker's father were imprudent and selfish, and the blame for our defeat at Wessvall does lie with him, that much is true. There is a great shame here, and I do feel sorry for the boy."