Chapter 41i

When he exited the tent of Merchant Dres, Karek found Larrad and Yohef waiting for him.

"You found your brother then?"

"It was hardly necessary," said Yohef. "Dredar was woken before first light by soldiers and rumours. One of Milident's boys came looking for me when she heard about Maddock."

Karek's older brother showed no tiredness from the earliness of the hour, but his face, behind his thick beard, was drawn and grim.

"What foolishness has he got involved with now?" he said.

"Order business," replied Karek darkly.

"I am beginning to think Maddock should have stayed at Dredar where it is safe," said Yohef. "Farmers don't have a habit of ending up with their heads split apart."

"You were well in favour of him becoming a Field-hand when he told us," said Larrad.

"That was before he started getting beaten by squires and savaged by madriel."

"He does seem to have a knack of getting into trouble doesn't he?"

Karek motioned for them to follow him down the avenue, which was growing quiet as the soldier's widened their search of the Encampment.

"How is our brother?" asked Yohef, falling into step beside him.

"Alive. He'll mend."

"So tell us what he's been doing to cause him to end up in the Infirmary."

"All right."

And Karek told them about their brother and Sir Kralaford's daughter, and the things that had happened to her the previous day, and everything they had spoken of in the Infirmary that morning.

"It does not sound credible," said Yohef when his brother had finished. "Sir Galder's squire! A nadidge! Merchant Dres! Can what the girl says be trusted?"

"Maddock's told me about this girl, Tahlia," said Larrad. "He says she's stuck up and troublesome, but he has never said she is a liar. I can believe that boy Tasker is involved..."

"We all have reasons to dislike that one," said Yohef. "It does not make him guilty though."

They paused at a crossroads to let two brightly attired messengers charge by, heading out towards the great-bailey. Once they had gone by, Karek led his three brothers on towards the battle-grounds.

"What you should do now, Karek, is find Section-commander Herris and tell him everything you know. It's no longer our business. Maddock is safe and that's all that matters."

"Do you want Sir Galder as Grand Commander, or Sir Kralaford?"

"The leadership of the Order is not something we farmers have any say in. It is nothing we can influence."

"It is if we can help to find Sir Kralaford's son."

"The whole Order is trying to do just that. Leave it to them, I say."

"Can we trust Sir Galder to do this task with his full resolve? He has much to gain if Sir Kralaford's son is not found quickly."

They had almost reached the end of the avenue, where it opened out into the arena-field.

"There's nothing I've heard that says Commander Galder has played a deliberate part in this," said Yohef. "Nothing apart from the guesses of this Tahlia girl, and to even whisper that he has is to risk being charged with treason, and given to the Pride."

"I will do nothing to risk that, but I must do everything I can to make sure Sir Kralaford's son is found."

"Then you must report all these goings on to Commander Galder. If you don't, you will only get yourself in trouble that you don't need. Just like Maddock has done."