Chapter 36ii

Grifford was woken by the sound of marching feet. He was out of bed and at the window of his dormitory, while his fellow squires were still mumbling their confusion and peering around the still darkened room. Squads of soldiers were passing along the narrow street below the window, their long shadows thrown up against the walls by rippling hand-lights. Some were still buckling on swords or buttoning tunics, as though just roused from sleep.

Grifford jumped down from the window and went to his bed to sit and pull on his trousers. Other squires had roused themselves now, and some were talking excitedly while others went to the windows to peer out. As Grifford was buckling up his boots, the door of the dormitory opened and the dim glow-light came on. A tall figure was silhouetted in the brighter light from the corridor outside.

"Where is Grifford?" said a stern, familiar voice.

"Here," said Grifford, pulling the final buckle of his boots closed.

The figure stepped into the room, and the light caught the grizzled features of High Lance-master Tzarren.

"Come with me, boy," he said. "Quickly now."

"What is happening, Master?" asked one of the older squires.

"The rest of you are to stay here," said Lance-master Tzarren, ignoring the question.

Grifford pulled on his tunic and went to the door. Master Tzarren nodded his approval and motioned with his head for Grifford to follow. He led him along the corridor, where soldiers were being posted at the other dormitory doors, then down through the entrance chamber of the barrack block.

"What is happening, Master Tzarren?" asked Grifford.

"Your brother has been taken from the fortress."

"Taken! What do you mean?"

"Taken, as in someone has taken him. Your mother woke this morning to find him gone."

Grifford felt his heart beat heavily at his chest, and his stomach tightened.

"Who took him?"

"We do not know. Kamantha is missing as well."

"Who?"

"Kamantha; his nursemaid."

He led Grifford from the dormitory block into one of the narrow streets that wound through the rest of the barracks. Ahead, a squad of soldiers dressed in the uniform of his father were passing through one of the heavy wooden gates that, when closed, would barricade the road.

"With the other Pride-commanders' consent, your father has ordered that the Encampment be searched," explained Master Tzarren as Grifford looked around at the passing soldiers.

"But why would someone take my brother?"

"Your father sent me to make sure you were safe, so I do not have any further details."

"What about Tahlia. Is she all right?"

"As far as I know. The young ladies have been confined to their rooms. This way."

Master Tzarren led him up the road after the soldiers.

"Where are we going?"

"To your father. He is at the battle-grounds."

Grifford felt complete incomprehension at Master Tzarren's news. Such a thing as this was surely impossible.

"But how exactly was Kralmir taken?"

"I hate to constantly admit to my lack of understanding of what has occurred, but I have no choice but to do so. Your mother was sleeping in her rooms last night with your brother and his nursemaid, and this morning the two of them were gone. That is all I know."