Chapter 23i

After the closing bell on the observation tower had sounded on the second morning of the tourney, Grifford went to meet his sister. He found her seated in one of the many deep couches that lined the walls of the lower embarkation hall, with a heavy book open on her lap. The two sets of metal lift doors opposite the wide staircase to the great-hall were closed, and the heavily ornate dial set in the wall above them indicated that the east lift would arrive in twelve minutes' time.

"You are late," said Tahlia, glancing up from her book. "We just missed one."

Grifford joined her on the sofa without comment, and Tahlia bent her head back to the book, leaving him to sit in silence and look at the portraits of Klinberg's previous Grand-commanders, which lined the circular room.

"What are you studying now?" he asked, after the silence had stretched on for a few minutes.

"It is not study," replied Tahlia. "I found this book at a stall today. The theolite who sold it to me said it has a lot of old secrets in it."

"Oh," said Grifford, unimpressed.

"I am looking to see if it says anything about the old places. Like the Sanctuary and such."

"Why?"

Tahlia looked up at him.

"Just because," she said. "It is interesting."

Grifford gave a loud tut.

"If you find Fortak so interesting, you should go to the temple and become a Communicant."

"No, thank you! They barely set foot outside the temple. All closed up in there. Just the thought of it gives me the shivers."

Tahlia flipped over a page in the book, to a picture of Fortak giving his last message to his people before going to his near eternal rest. Boldly illustrated writing decorated the borders of the pictures, and his sister began to study their lines carefully. Grifford turned back to the lifts, as the needle on the dial above them dropped from ten minutes down to nine.

"Oh it is useless," said Tahlia, slamming the book closed and dropping it onto the seat beside her. "There is nothing in here about the old places that I do not know already."

"Oh," said Grifford, still without much interest.

"All it says is that the old places were created by the servants of Fortak to keep his people safe, and that he gave them knowledge so they could survive."

"I thought that we were the servants of Fortak," said Grifford.

Tahlia gave a loud sigh.

"Do you never listen to Chief-communicant Vennar's messages at the temple?"

Grifford wasn't listening. He was frowning at the sound of footsteps from the archway where one of the winding stairs led down from the chamber. He scowled at the figure who entered.

The figure scowled back.

"Squire Grifford," said the boy, the words twisting his lips.

"Squire Tasker," Grifford replied coldly.

The older boy walked confidently through the sets of high backed chairs that filled the centre of the room, and stood opposite them, one arm resting on the back of a particularly ornate seat.

"Oh, and his sister," he said, noticing Tahlia. "Still grubbing about in unwholesome places, I hear?"

"The places I grub around in," she replied, meeting his mocking glare with her own. "Are none of your business."