Chapter 20ii

As Maddock led the way through the tents, he looked up at his brother.

"Don't you want to see mother and father first?"

"Business first. A little wager and a little drink to help bolster my nerves before giving father the good news that my absence from the farm is to be permanent."

Maddock looked over his shoulder. His other two brothers were following behind.

"We'll come along to keep him from too much trouble," said Yohef. "Though I'm looking forward to returning to the farm. I want to hide my spear and shield away under my bed and get my feet back into the earth where they belong."

"How are mother and father?" asked Larrad.

"They're both fine, though father always seems worried."

"Father constantly worries," said Karek. "Now, which way, brother?"

They had reached a junction in the pathways between the tents. Maddock had only visited the Encampment once when the tents were first being erected, but he knew that the merchants had been given pitches along the main avenue, directly west from the fortress. He pointed in that direction.

"I expect the farm had to pay for more labour during the harvest while we were gone," said Yohef, as they made their way along a wider avenue in the tents.

"While Commander Galder expects the same tithe," said Maddock bitterly.

"Still, at least father had you," said Karek, patting Maddock on the shoulder. "Doing the work of the four of us, I expect."

"Well, no."

"So you've been shirking all summer," said Larrad.

Maddock felt a slight flush of shame, though when he had imagined giving them his news, he thought that it would be with more pride than he currently felt.

"I've been up at the fortress. They're letting me train to be a Field-hand."

"A what!" said Karek, turning suddenly and causing his brothers to almost stumble into his back. "What do you want to be a Field-hand for? I thought you wanted me to teach you to use a sword. Do you not want to be a soldier?"

"Yes, but I want to learn to ride a madriel as well."

"Don't you remember our brother's ambition, Karek," said Larrad. He's going to be a knight."

"Oh yes!" Karek clicked his fingers in recollection. "Well, you will still need to know how to use a sword then."

"Yes. Do you think I can become a knight? Everyone else thinks it's stupid."

"Absolutely! We all must have dreams, brother. And the bigger, the better."

Karek set off again, leading Maddock once more by the shoulder.

"Even if you don't become a knight, a Field-hand is an excellent undertaking," said Yohef. "You always had a way with animals. I'm sure you will make a fine Madriel-master."

"I don't want to be a Madriel-master."

"Well, whatever. At least being away from the farm means you will not be taken for the levy when the next war comes."

They walked on through the tents, the noise around them slowly building as they approached the main avenue of the Encampment.

"It's a pity for father though," Yohef went on. "Two of his sons gone from the farm. Lucky for him, me and Larrad are back."

"Are you back for good then?" asked Maddock.

"For now, aye," replied Karek. "It seems that Pride-commander Galder wasn't up for a proper fight, after all."