Chapter 1ii

I'm dedicating this chapter to gregor1180 for reading and commenting. She's got some fine work up on Wattpad so please take a look and give her your support. I can heartilly recommend 'The House of Sept'.

———-

As Hakansa stalked down into the basin of grass and rock, Sir Kralaford studied the two prisoners kneeling by the water's edge. One was a clansman of Monmellier, and though Sir Kralaford was well versed and familiar with them, he could not identify by his markings which Clan the man was from. The marks covered his arms, and showed on his upper chest above his tunic, but there were none on his face except for the thick ugly stain in the centre of his forehead that branded him as outcast. He was not, therefore, of high rank, a fact confirmed by the few marks that Sir Kralaford could identify on his forearm, which showed that he had once been a ghat clipper, and later a warrior.

The other man was younger, not even twenty seasons. He bore no Clan marks, so Sir Kralaford took him to be of plain's stock. The outcast from the Clans glared with clear hatred as he approached, while the younger man's look was nervous, his eyes flicking between him and the other madriel riders in the basin.

As Sir Kralaford halted before the basin's pool, and Sir Unsaethel drew up alongside him, the steeds of the two lower Echelon knights positioned on either side of the prisoners became agitated at the proximity of the alphas. Their riders gave quick words of command to stop their young beasts' growling.

On the flat platform of rock, which sloped down to the pool's shallows, was Lau, Madriel–mistress of Justice, accompanied by a senior Hunt-mistress, but their old steeds remained calm and impassive in the presence of the two Pride-alphas.

The pool itself lay in the shade of a high outcrop of bedrock that broke through the dry soil of the plains, forming a haven from the sun for the members of the Pride that had marked it as their own. But on that day the place would serve a different purpose.

"Let the Court of the Order of the Plains begin its judgement," said Sir Unsaethel. "Clerk of Justice; name the prisoners."

A tall man in the uniform of a senior clerk stood on the high rock above the pool, and a woman stood beside him, equally tall and dressed in rough riding gear, with a thick rope lasso coiled over one shoulder.

The clerk took a hand-ledger from where it had been tucked beneath his arm, and glanced at it briefly.

"The prisoners are named as Sacachwa of no Clan, and Harl, formally of Grasshallow, decreed outlaw since the depths of last fallows."

"And their crime?"

Again the clerk looked at his ledger, but it was clear he had already memorised his lines.

"Tragasaur poaching. They were captured at the border of Solridge while participating in the attempted theft of a female from the stock of the ranch of Cathajack."

He indicated the woman standing beside him.

Sir Unsaethel addressed the two knights.

"Your testimony?"

"We had been returning from our duty at the Rhebus," said the senior of the two knights. "And came across the outlaws as they attempted to drive the captured tragasaur across the river. We pursued them immediately, but succeeded only in capturing these two and freeing the stolen property."

"And their accomplices?"

"They escaped across the border into Solridge and we thought it unwise to pursue them."

"Doubtless a prudent decision."

Sir Unsaethel then addressed the two kneeling prisoners.

"You have conspired to steal from Cathajack, who is a tenant of the Order, and therefore you have conspired to steal from the Order. You must answer for your crimes."