Chapter 7i

This chapter is dedicated to CocoNichole. What do you fancy? Zombie apocalypse or Amazonian Urban Fantasy? CocoNichole has both, with her Chew Chronicles (Not just zombies, but zombies and were-zombies and cyborgs (Oh my!)) Or you could try her Encante trilogy, starting with her Wattpad Featured story Sun Kissed. I can promote this story using only two words.

Shapeshifting. Dolphins.

Need I say more?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commander Kralaford tugged on his second high boot and began tightening its buckles.

"I still don't know why you won't tell me."

His wife was by the open bedroom window, sitting propped on the ledge while eating her breakfast from the plate that she held cradled in her hand. She had found it more convenient of late to have her breakfast brought to their room. It was easier than making the journey down to the ladies' solarium, but she was no longer comfortable sitting up in bed to eat so she would often take her meals standing, or sitting at her dresser.

"You will have to see your son's choice for yourself. I would not wish to spoil it for you."

She picked up a morsel of food from her plate; a section of thick karabok rib, encrusted with the red and orange socro she had recently taken a liking to.

"Just tell me if he has made a good choice. Is the beast strong and healthy?"

Sir Kralaford finished with his buckles and stood.

"It is certainly strong."

Tahlessa smiled and took a bite from the spiced meat.

"And?"

His wife shook her head as she chewed.

"If you are so interested in your son's steed," she said, once she had finished and swallowed. "Then you should have accompanied him yesterday when he went to make his choice.

"You know why I did not."

Tahlessa sighed. Then she dropped the rib she had been chewing onto her plate and put the plate on the ledge beside her.

"I understand your reasons, and you know why I do not agree with them."

Sir Kralaford walked to the window and stood beside his wife, his hands resting on the stone ledge where she sat. He looked out at the sky to the east, where the pale outline of the Khensis moon hung in the brightening blue sky.

"You, of all people, know what my own father was like. Not a day went by when he did not criticise some choice that I made, or some action that I took. He was always there at my shoulder."

Sir Kralaford felt his wife's arm encircle his waist, felt the rounded shape of her stomach pressed against his side.

"You are not your father, Kral. Grifford needs you. He needs your regard."

"I should not need to give him my constant endorsement for him to understand my regard for him, Tahlessa. He is not a child."

"But he is! Do you not see? You can put a sword in his hand and strap a rail-shield to his arm, but he is still little more than a boy, though he will soon be a man." Sir Kralaford looked down at his wife, to see the familiar earnest look in her eyes. "I fear that if he continues as he is, he will be a man that will not be much liked. You see how he is? He has no friends and solves all his arguments with his fists."