Chapter 46i

They found Vlambra at the end of a long spiralling stair, slumped at the bottom of a ladder he did not have the strength to climb. The rungs a few metres above his head were bloodied and smeared where he had lost his final handhold, and the metal beneath him was similarly mired. At first Tahlia thought him dead, until his eyes flicked open. He had wrapped some rag about his hand and wrist, twisting it tightly in his fingers, but the cloth was already solid red with his blood.

"You have taken my strength, bitch child," he spat, though the venom in his voice had seeped from him with his strength. Tahlia drew back her bow, a long skull arrow on its string, and her brother went towards the man, his sword drawn. "So now you will kill me?"

"No, I want you to answer our questions," said Tahlia.

"And I am sure that you are having plenty of those."

"Why did you take our brother? Is it to ensure that Sir Galder is the next Grand-commander? To bring war to the Orders? What does Dres mean to gain by it?"

"Questions as I thought, but which to answer first, and why should I answer any?

Tahlia pulled her bow cord back to her cheek.

Vlambra gave a smirk.

"You cannot be threatening me with death, girl, only with the promise of life."

"We do not need him," said Grifford. "The merchant will tell our father everything he needs to know."

Vlambra gave his scornful smirk again.

"You will get no answers from Dres, boy. He is possessed by his duty."

"What do you mean?"

"They are thinking I am stupid. On all sides they think me an idiot, but I have eyes, and I have listened when they thought I was not there. This whole thing is going deeper than Dres, and your brother's part is more than a base ploy to remove your father from the jousting ring today."

"Tell us everything," said Grifford.

Vlambra raised his good hand, still gripping the soaking bandage, pulling his injured arm with it, and pressed a finger to his mouth, leaving a bloody print on his lips.

"I will tell you no more unless you are giving me your help."

"We have not got time for this," said Grifford. "We have to get word to our father. We can send soldiers down for this filth. He is not going anywhere."

He turned to leave.

"Wait!" said Tahlia. "He may be dead by then."

Grifford sighed in exasperation, but did not go any further.

"Your little sister does not lie," said Vlambra, his voice sounding weak, but then he smiled venomously. "You look like you are being a strong boy, and I am sure your Engineer friend can lend me one of her broad shoulders. Help me out of this pit and I will tell you everything I know."

"This is important, Grifford!"

"Our brother is important. We must take him back."

"So you go and get Dak and Kralmir, and I'll wait here. Then I will go on ahead with our brother while you bring him."

She stabbed at Vlambra with the arrow on her drawn bow.

"This is your madness! Kralmir is my duty."

"He can doubtless tell us about Tasker. Do you not want the boy punished?"

Vlambra's eyes, which had fallen closed, opened to show a deep cunning.