Chapter 40ii

When Tahlia reached the soldiers, she ran along their front line, staying far enough away so that she could not be easily grabbed. None of them seemed inclined to stop her though, and instead they merely stood silently, watching her curiously as she ran towards the gate.

"As I have been explaining to you for the previous ten minutes," the Forge-guard was saying as she drew close. "You are not passing this gate until I am getting word from my Chief saying that you are invited to do so."

"But the Workshops must be searched," replied one of the Unit-leaders, his face an angry red. He wore the yellow and red uniform of Dolphus Chapter.

"And they may well be so, and with our every cooperation, but not before word is being received."

The gate to the fort's dark tunnel stood open, and as Tahlia reached it she dodged around the two Unit-leaders, and sprang through between the Forge-guards.

"Hold up there, girl," said the younger of the two guards. "You cannot be coming in here uninvited."

Tahlia balanced on the gate's threshold and spun on one grubbily naked foot to face the guards and the lines of soldiers.

"It is all right," she said to the young Forge-guard. "I come in here all the time."

The two Unit-leaders had also noticed her sudden appearance.

"That's Commander Kralaford's daughter," said one of them, the one wearing the yellow and red. "You're supposed to be confined to your room, young lady."

"That is where I am going."

"You are not through here," said the younger of the two Forge-guard.

"She certainly isn't," said the other Unit-leader, who wore the blue uniform of Asquith. "We have orders to return her to the fortress."

"Your orders are not being my concern," said the senior Forge-guard. "I do not care where this girl is supposed to be; only where she is not supposed to be."

It was then that Grifford arrived, closely followed by Dak, breathing heavily from her race across the grass.

"It is all right, Harev," she panted, her cheeks red, and sweat beading on her forehead. "She is with me."

"Ah, Tomova's daughter," said Harev. "Is she coming at your invitation then?"

"Yes," replied Dak, between gasps. "And her brother, Grifford will also be my guest."

Forge-guard Harev glanced at Grifford.

"And where is it that you are going?" he asked.

"I will be taking them to the upper guild-yard, which they will pass through to the fortress. Then I am going to my home."

"That is sounding to me like a solid idea. Very well. Follow on through."

He nodded at the open gate where Tahlia was still standing. Grifford and Dak stepped past the two Guards.

"Now, wait a minute," said the senior Unit-leader. "They should be given over to us."

"Sir!"

The soldiers who had followed them from the Enclosures had arrived, those dressed in the burgundyof Vikas. 

The Unit-leader acknowledged the Squad-man's salute.

"Have you new orders?"

"No, sir. We were after these children. We were searching the Enclosures when we heard a scream."

"A scream?"

"Yes, sir, from the gardens."

"Sorry, that was me," said Tahlia. "We were on our way here, and I was scared by an archapid."