nine

She smiled sweetly at the purring cat sitting by her legs, letting his little paws knead her thigh. It hurt, and she winced as his claws penetrated her skin, but it was a worthy sacrifice—anything for kitty.

    Misa laid on her stomach on the other side of the bed, her feet dangling in the air as she scrolled through her phone, occasionally showing Kaira something she thought was amusing.

    It felt relieving to see Misa after having spent days wallowing in doubts and anxiety. Yet, even then, Kaira couldn't help but constantly look at the wall in which was hidden the Death Note, her jaw clenching on its own. It'd been a week and a half since she has had it, and she still had absolutely no idea what to do.

    She disagreed with Kira– mostly. She understood the motives and agreed that the Earth would be better off without some people, yet she couldn't bring herself to think that homicide was morally acceptable. Many options laid out before her, yet they all seemed blurred– the possible paths all appeared tangled in one another like separate strings forming one big and messy knot. For the first time in her life, she felt disoriented, like she didn't have the advantage nor the moral compass required to come to a decision. At least not in this case.

    "Are you okay?" Misa's head popped up, her eyes sparkling even under the dim light of Kaira's room. Her eyebrows slightly furrowed as she squeezed a plush pillow, pivoting her body around to face Kaira completely.

    "I'm fine. Just tired, I think," Kaira replied, forcing a reassuring smile on her lips. She was tired, that was no lie, but it mainly was mentally. She was intellectually utterly drained. Sleep doesn't help when you're fighting wars in your mind.

    "I won't push it because I'm assuming you don't want to talk about it, but you're a terrible liar when it comes to your feelings. I hope you know that." Misa rolled her eyes playfully, tilting her head to the side.

    Kaira sighed, a genuine smile now tugging at the corner of her lips, "Fine, you caught me." She continued to pet her cat, looking anywhere but into Misa's eyes. They felt too scrutinizing, and this time, she understood how it felt to be examined, and she didn't like it.

    "This week has just been harder for me than most. It's taking a toll on my mental state."

    "Is it because of work?"

    "Hm, partly."

    "Well, whatever else there is, I'm sure you can get through it. You're a strong person, you know?" She smiled, reassurance filling her gaze, "I'm by your side if you need it."

    Kaira grinned but looked away as her smile faded; she wished she could ask for her help, but involving Misa was the last thing she wanted to do. It was too dangerous, for one, and she would go insane. Who knows how Misa would react to the Death Note? To Light being Kira?

    Kaira didn't want to risk it. She'd always dealt with things on her own, yet this time, it felt incredibly lonely. It was all so new, anyone in their right minds would lose sleep over it.

    But it was her reality now.

    She had to get involved in the Kira case, all because of that damn boy Light Yagami.

    Dumbass.

☻︎

    Ryuzaki stared at his computer screen with a blank expression, a fork in between his lips. He was confused, to say the least. Things didn't make sense– they never did with the Kira case, but this time, it felt odd. There hadn't been a single Kira murder in the past week and a half, and he failed to make any connection whatsoever.

    Light observed him, and he, too, wondered what the hell was the next move. Get rid of the piece of paper in his watch and lose his memories? Kill Kaira? Frame her? Negotiate with her?

    Somehow, all of those options seemed incredibly reckless. He was used to everything being calculated down to the last insignificant detail, and this time, none of it was. It was all one big mess. His blood boiled at the thought; this was all her fault. If she weren't so damn defiant, if she would've cooperated since day one and just given him the damn notebook, none of this would be happening. He could've written down her name in a second, and his plan wouldn't be imperilled.

    But it was, and now he had to deal with it and with her.

    "What do you think, Light?" L muttered, his eyes still glued to the screen. He dug his fork into his slice of cake and brought it to his lips, lazily putting it in his mouth.

    "You tell me. Everytime you ask for my opinion, you already have yours." Light leaned back on his chair, seemingly unbothered. He couldn't tell L his "theory" before hearing his; it was way too risky. He aimed to say as least as possible.

    "True. But I would not ask for your input if I relied on my assumption only." He slowly turned his head to glance at Light, strands of black hair obstructing his vision the slightest, "you seem hesitant to tell me your thoughts today."

    "Because I'm not sure what to think."

    "Are we ever?"

    Light sighed, knowing he wouldn't get anywhere not speaking, so he aimed for the second safest option, "if I were Kira, I'd purposely give the impression of disorder in between victims. If Kira's killings become scheduled, it becomes much easier to solve the case. Perhaps Kira's objective with this stagnant phase was exactly this. We're confused, aren't we? I'd say the purpose of a ten days without victims was exactly that."

    That, or this incredibly annoying and bratty brunette is making Kira's life miserable. You pick.

    "Oh, and by the way, there's someone I'd like you to meet. I think she'd be of great help with the case," Light smiled, his eyes darkening just slightly. If she wanted to play dirty, he'd play ten times dirtier.

☻︎☻︎☻︎

HI im here. IM SORRY IM LATE AGAIN but i have this writer's contest i need to focus on and the deadline is july 29th so i'll be updating more frequently after!!
i hope you enjoyed :)) ily