naib subedar x reader || "diversion"

summary: emily had asked you to distract naib while they prepare his birthday surprise. emily knew about your "little" crush on the mercenary and found this to be the perfect chance for you two to get closer.

warnings: none

»»————- ♡ ————-««

"(Y/N), dear, please open up." Emily continues to knock with an exasperated sigh. After not answering her many calls, she assumed you were sound asleep. She continued to patiently wait, often calling your name in hopes you'd wake up.

You stir in your sleep, eyes slowly opening as you yawn. You squint at the sunlight that peeked through the window, shutting an eye in response to the bright light. You take your time to sit up, rubbing your eyes in an attempt to make yourself less sleepy. The duvet falls onto your lap, your exposed skin shivering at the sudden loss of warmth from the covers.

Your doorknob rattles, bringing your attention to the sudden noise. You swing your legs over the side of the bed and stand up, sluggishly making your way to the door. Before you can manage to unlock it, the lock turns and the door flings open. The sudden action makes you yelp and jump back, staring at the doctor in your doorway.

"Now is when you get up?" She asks, a frown adorning her face. "I waited around twenty minutes." Emily opens her palm, showing a pair of keys to your room. They jingle as she lifts them and points to the potted plant by your room.

"You had to use the extra key," you mumble, rubbing your arms to create friction. "Why did you wake me up so early?"

Emily stares at you in disbelief, lightly shaking her head. "I wouldn't have expected you to forget such a special occasion, especially for your beloved merce-"

You cut her off, clamping a hand over her mouth. "Hush! Too much information!" You say frantically, feeling your cheeks warm up at the sudden statement. Emily moves your hand with a glare, "You make it obvious."

"As I was saying, it's Naib's birthday. I assume you had remembered." She continued, flicking your hand away as she steps into your room. You close the door, following behind her as she takes a seat on the bed. You plop down beside her, throwing yourself back onto the comforter.

"I require a favor," she begins, adjusting her gloves with an unnoticeable smirk on her face. You hum in reply, urging her to continue with her request.

"I need you to distract Naib while we all prepare him a lovely surprise party. You don't mind, do you?"

"WHAT?!" You shriek, sitting up and getting on your knees. You look at Emily's face for any sign of sarcasm, worry building up in the pit of your stomach. "Oh you know I cannot do that! Why not find someone else?" You question, uncertain of her choice. She only shakes her head in reply.

"It is a perfect opportunity for you two to get closer! Unless you'd like to give it up.. that would be a shame." Emily turns her head, bringing a finger to her chin in thought. "I could ask someone else.." She mumbles, glancing at you with a mock smile.

"That won't be necessary! I can do it," you exclaim, hands shaking wildly in front of you. She claps her hands together, giving you a nod of approval. She stands up and dusts off her white dress.

"Do your best! We finish around late afternoon. Emma will let you know," She informs, leaving you in an array of thoughts. You bury your head into your hands, exhaling as you smack your cheeks. You stand up, determined to start the day and succeed at your task.

»»————- time skip ————««

"Care to join me for a match or two?"

"I'm busy."

"Pleaseee? There's nothing much to do anyway," you plead, hooking your arm around his elbow to prevent him from leaving. Naib stares at you in disappointment, heaving a sigh as he reluctantly nods.

You silently cheer to yourself, a sly smile making its way to your face. "Let's go!" You pull him along to the lobby room. This day was going to be great.

»»————————««

"Naib, is today of any importance to you?" You ask, raising a finger to your chin in thought. Had he forgotten his birthday? He didn't seem to care about occupying himself. He even distanced himself from everyone more than usual. Except you, of course. You dragged him along the entire manor, hanging out with him for the majority of the afternoon. You lost track of time, unsure if it was time for the surprise or not. Despite that, you were happy; spending time with him was the equivalent of a date for you. Hell, you even played with Robbie together! He opened up to you and created a better bond than the "distant friend" relationship you had before. Your heart churned at the thought.

"No," Naib answers, stuffing his hands into his hoodie's pockets. His blue eyes trail to the plants as you walk side by side in the garden. His brows furrowed, turning his attention to you. He comes to a sudden stop and crosses his arms over his chest.

"What are you hiding." He asks. It comes off as a demand, his frightening glare locked on you. You freeze, a nervous smile etched on your face as you turn around to face him. "What do you mean?" You attempt to avoid answering the question. "What is there to hide?.." You trail off, kicking a pebble on the ground.

"Don't play dumb," he growls, rolling his eyes at your awful acting. "You've been trying to get my attention, distracting me in matches, and keeping the diner off-limits. And might I add, you suddenly pop up and beg me to accompany you on today of all days." Naib adds. "Shall I go on?"

You form duck lips, looking down at the ground in shame. You lift your hands in a surrendering motion, frantically trying to find another way to buy more time. You smirk, but quickly force a frown to play the part.

"Fine, you caught me," you sigh, looking up to meet his gaze. "I just wanted to spend more time with you.. I kept the diner off-limits because.. well, Emily requested it of me. They were doing a deep cleaning and I refused to interrupt and waste more time."

Naib sees through your excuse and shrugs. "I apologize. I was getting rather.. suspicious." He plays along, tapping his foot on the ground. "Mind telling me about those yellow roses? They're beautiful."

"Oh! Those were grown by Mr. Carl," you start, walking over to them. You crouch by his legs, reaching out to pluck one. "Its primary meaning is friendship, but it varies in its denotation." You stand up, offering the rose to him. You hold it for a few seconds, confused as to why he hadn't taken it yet. Getting up on your feet, you glance to where he was.

Eyes widen at his disappearance, panic settling in your stomach. You quickly look around, spotting a blur of green exit the garden ahead. You frown, running after him. 'I can't believe he'd pull off such a stunt.. then again, it is Naib.'

You come to a stop in front of the diner, hearing commotion beyond the closed doors. You wince to yourself for what's about to come, slowly opening the large brown doors only to see everyone cheering happily with drinks in hand and a large cake at the center of the table.

Someone taps your shoulder as you sigh. At least you still managed to complete your task despite it being accidental. You feel another tap on your shoulder, causing you to turn around. You jump in place.

"Uhh.. surprise, birthday boy?"

»»———————————««