8. Another Friend

"What's up Sugar?" Azami pushed her sun glasses down to the bridge of her nose, smiling at the shocked looking Kuroo in front of her.

He smiled, "The sky."

"Hah, so funny," she said. Azami unlocked her truck. "Get in and tell me where were going."

Kuroo nodded and walked to the other side if the truck getting in the passenger's seat. "I see you got a car. Or, truck."

Azami smiled, "Heck yeah I did. Just got it yesterday. It call him, Tetsu."

Kuroo smiled, "I'm honored you would name your truck after me."

Azami blinked at him, "What? I named him because Tetsu means iron and that's what metal the truck is made of. I just so happens that it's the same kanji as your first name." Kuroo looked down-cast as he mumbled a small, "oh".

Azami rolled her eyes and punched his shoulder, "Gosh, take a joke Kuroo. Of course I named it after you." Kuroo perked up and bit and ran a hand through his hair, "I knew you were joking the entire time. I'm just a great actor." This time is was Azami's turn to role her eyes.

"So, where are we going?" Azami asked.

"The pet store literally just down the road," Kuroo said.

"You mean the little janky pet shop with the green awning?" Azami asked. Kuroo chuckleld.

"That's the one," he said. Azami nodded and put the truck in drive before pulling out of his apartment parking lot and onto the main road. She drove down the road and the two of them made light conversation.

"So why the pet store?" Azami asked.

"I need to get some stuff," Kuroo said.

"You have a pet?" Azami asked. She pulled the truck against the crub and parked the truck.

"Yep," Kuroo said. "I have a puppy named Genshi. He's a Samoyed. He gets trained every weekday by the owner of this pet store and I pick him up on the weekends."

"Wait, wait, wait," Azami said. "You named your dog Atom?"

Kuroo shrugged, "I told you I was a science nerd didn't I?"

"Actually you failed to mention that last part," she said and she unbuckled her seatbelt and opened her door.

"Oh," Kuroo said opening his own door and stepping out of it. "Well, surprise?"

Azami laughed as the two walked down the sidewalk toward the green-awned building. (I have no idea if awned is a word. I'm pretty sure it isn't though.) Kuroo opened the door for her with a playful bow. After reciprocating with a playful cursty, she headed inside, Kuroo behind her.

Hanging from the ceiling was an intricate mesh of sticks and little houses and parakeets crawled all around it. There was a black cat lounging on the front desk and a tortoise was sitting in the chair behind the desk. The rest of the store was filled with food, toys, and anything for pets. Along the right wall was glass opening rooms. Each was filled with a puppy.

Kuroo made his way to the right wall. She watched him as his eyes scanned the rooms before landing on the one at the far end. He made his way over to it and crouched. Azami made her way over to see his hands and nose pressed against the glass, a thick-haired white puppy doing the same exact same thing on the other side.

"Hey Genshi," Kuroo said. His voice was deeper and he sounded like he was talking to a child. "Ready to go home? Huh boy? Are you ready?" Azami held back her laughter as she watched the interaction between the two.

He glanced up at her a and a small blush covered his face. She saved him by crouching down beside him and putting her hands on the glass as well. The white puppy looked at her, head turned and tongue stuck out. "Hey pretty boy," she said in a childish voice. "Hi Genshi. I'm Azami." The puppy barked and jumped towards the glass, paws against it and tail wagging back and forth.