7. Currents

"Oh shut up" I said with a small smile forming on my lips as I shook my head, keeping focus on the road ahead of me

"Oh come on, you have to admit that the films are better" Isaac argued enthusiastically from the passenger seat of my truck. Since the trip to motel california, the two of us had found ourselves spending more time with one-another, as friends of course. And a certain thing we'd found we had in common was our love of several different films.

"We only watched the first two! And that was yesterday aswell, have you even read the books?"

"Well, reading, skimming, key words, not buying the books, same thing really in my opinion" He attempted to reason.

"You'd have to read the books to know it's better Lahey"

"I mean...is it really necessary?" The boy said with a raised eyebrow.

I looked to the side as he stared back at me with a grin, my own serious face staring right back. "Yes. It is as a matter of fact, the many details left out in the Harry Potter films are ridiculous. I'll even lend you the books if I have to"

Isaac reached over to the back seats to grab his sweater as he went to pull it over his head, "Next thing I know you're gonna be forcing me to read 'Percy Jackson' or some shit" He said with a chuckle.

"Hey, no criticism on Percy Jackson either, you're already treading on very thin ice here" I told him. "Besides, you wouldn't believe how much you learn about greek mythology from those books" 

"Yes well judging by what you told me, I'm sure reading about some guy that plays with toilet water and his little goat friend and invisible hat retrieving some stolen lightning bolt is all very educational" He mused before his eyes widened in shock, "Look out!"

It was too late. By the time I'd turned around I'd already crashed straight into the back of the car in front of us, that had been stopped in the road among many other cars that had formed a pileup of several cars rammed into one another.

My head slammed forwards against the wheel at the sudden stop as my eyes fluttered open, everything in a daze, but I could just about see Isaac with his head leaning against the dashboard beside me. I sat up quickly as I leaned over towards him, "Isaac? Isaac are you okay? Holy shit" I muttered as I ran a stressed hand through my hair as I reached out and cupped his cheek in my hand.

The boy suddenly let out a small cough as I breathed a sigh of relief, "Thank god, didn't kill another guy. Phew" I said as I leaned back in my seat.

"You're bleeding" He pointed out, I raised a hand to my head as I placed it where I could feel the pain, surely enough when I removed it there was deep red blood on my hand.

"It's only pain, it'll be over before we know it" I shrugged, un-clipping my seatbelt and swinging the door open as he did the same.

Shortly after, ambulances and police cars began arriving at the scene, people being loaded in and out of ambulances as vehicles were towed away. Me and Isaac climbed out of the seats and stepped aside, a paramedic made his way over to us as he checked us over, finding a small bruise on Isaacs cheek and noticing the blood coming from my forehead, "Ma'am, I think you'll have to come with us to get that checked out" The man informed as I glanced towards my friend.