Prologue

Copyright © 2013 Jaleen Tufts

All Rights Reserved

Prologue

         William Clearwater drove down the familar open road in Hollywoodland, California in his brand new Rolls Royce. The year was 1927 and 'Boom Town' was staying true to it's name. Every so-called actor or actress, businessman, or down on their luck hood hopped on the train to come to Hollywoodland for their big break. Businesses were growing like crops on a Georgia Plantation. Willie's line of business was one of the most successful in all of Los Angeles County, particularly because what he did was illegal. He was a bootlegger.

        He sold the best tasting hooch on this side of the coast that anyone has ever tasted. Every illegal joint in all of Los Angeles County wanted a case of the expensive hooch. But Willie only sold his valuable stuff to his business partner and long time acquaintance Vincent 'Big Daddy' Rizzitelli.

        Big Daddy, although Willie refused to call him that, was the most powerful Mob Boss in the state of California. Everyone in the city was on his payroll, from policemen, to judges, he even had a few school teachers who came in handy from time to time. Big Daddy wasn't like every other Mob Boss, he had a kind heart. But no one took his kindness for weakness. Some have tried but they always took a dirt nap in the end.

        Both men have been in the illegal business for over 40 years. Some were confused as to how two men, who come from very different cultural backgrounds, could co-exist so well. But, Big Daddy and Willie had the same business mind and that is why they both took the gamble and moved their business to the ever expanding Los Angeles, California. Willie and his men made all the bathtub gin they wanted and sold the good quality hooch to Big Daddy, which he sold at his night club, The Hot Spot, the hottest speakeasy in the state. It was the first to house good gin, the hottest entertainment and intense gambling.

        Although Big Daddy wasn't Willie's only customer, they still held a respective deal.

        Willie turned his Rolls Royce onto the street of Big Daddy's estate. Every house on the block being extravagantly large and elegant, much like his five bedroom home he owned in the dusty hills of Los Angeles. Big Daddy's, of course, was unique. Since he was a Mob Boss, he had to exercise proper precaution like building a large cast iron gate around his property and placing a guard booth in front of it.

        They never saw each other on Sundays. It was a respective church day, so conducting business would be a sin. But, the news he recieved a few hours prior called for the emergency meeting.

        Willie pulled up to the guard booth. Because he was a regular at the house, the guard let him through the gate without any hassle. He swung his Rolls Royce in front of the brand new Victorian styled house.

        He stepped out onto the dirt road, careful not to ruin his snake skin shoes. He walked up the three steps and knocked on the door. Naturally, the white silk curtain hanging from the window moved before the door was opened. James Bilotti, Big Daddy's right hand man and enforcer, stood in the doorway. His charcoal eyes bore into Willie's brown ones. The look he gave Willie clearly showed his annoyance that he was there. Although, they were the same age, James looked ten years Willie's senior. He seemed to grow more lines on his face everyday. Unlike Willie, whose only showed when he smiled.

        Willie and James weren't fond of eachother. James did not like the fact that his long time friend and boss did business with "the blacks" as he liked to call them.