Chapter 16: Wedding and Reception (part 2)

Makeup. Flawless, thanks to Gloria. Hair. Gorgeous, thanks to Gladys. 

     As Kenzie slipped on her dress her stomach did a turn.  She wasn't sure if it was from nervousness or the fact that from that day forth she would forever be attached to Benicio Rizzitelli. 

     Now fully dressed, she studied herself in the full-body mirror. Before, she was worried about it being too revealing, but with the help of Heart of Fire, the beautiful necklace with the red heart shaped diamond pendant that belonged to Benicio's mother and the diamond earrings dangling from earlobes, Kenzie looked simply breath taking. The dress clang to her body. Her sheer straps knotted at the shoulders and came  down her chest. From the cleavage down she was wrapped in white floral satin. 

     As she continued to study herself, the door opened and Gladys, Thelma, and Gloria walked into what was now officially her old room. They were already dressed in their pink strapless bridemaids gowns, their gloved covered hands held lovely bouquets of pink and white roses.

     "This is unbelievable." Kenzie said in a soft shaky voice. She never thought this day would come. "I'm getting married."

     Suddenly she thought about their first encounter at the Hot Spot, their first official date, and their first kiss...

     "Kenzie you look ravishing." Gloria said with tears in her eyes. 

     "No one deserves to happy more than you." Thelma added on the verge of tears herself.

      Gladys nodded. "If your mother were alive today, she would be so proud of the woman you've become."

      Kenzie turned away. She did wish her mother could have shared this joyous moment with her. If she were here maybe things would have been much different. Kenzie looked at her mother's wooden barrette on the nightstand. She would have liked to wear it but she didn't know how. 

     "I'm sorry Kenzie." Gladys said apologetic. "I didn't mean-"

     "Oh it's alright." Kenzie assured with a smile, although her back was to them. "I just know that she is watching me from above, so I guess she's here in spirit."

      The sound of someone knocking on the door caught their attention. 

     "Ladies..." the person said on the other end. "The car is here to escort you to the church."  It was the voice of Giada, Benico's mother. For a woman who only spent 15 years in America her English was perfect. 

     No one said anything, they seemed to be afraid to speak.  One would have thought she was the evil queen from a fairy tale.

     "I know you're in there Girls." Giada continued.

     "It's open." Kenzie called.

     The door swung open and Giada submerged from the hallway like she owned the house. She wore a long elegant dark blue gown with capped shoulders. A matching feathered hat sat over her dark gray streaked hair with a veil that stopped at the bridge of her nose, while a pearl necklace hung around her neck. It was like she was prepared to attend a funeral instead of her son's wedding. Kenzie instantly wondered why Giada was there.

    "Now, now girls." She said with a  smile, addressing Gladys, Thelma, and Gloria. "The car is downstairs, you wouldn't want to keep the poor driver waiting, would you?"

     "N-no ma'am." Thelma replied.

     "Then why are you still in my presence?"  Her tone was pleasant, but her face was awfully blank.