Chapter 27: The End

Two months Later

        Kenzie looked at Gloria's tombstone with tears sliding down her cheeks. The funeral had been weeks ago but between her home studies and spending time with her family, Kenzie made it a habit to visit her grave every chance she had. It was painful when Jackson told her of Gloria's betrayal. Knowing that she was the one writing all the awful stories about her life upset her deeply. But Gloria was carrying her brother's child and she did not deserve to be murdered. 

        "She was my life," Jackson said in a low scratchy voice, he had been standing beside Kenzie. 

        Since being hanged, Jackson's voice had never been the same. Although he did not complain of any pain, Kenzie heard it whenever he talked. His body had been beaten to the point where the doctors suggested he use a cane to help him walk until he fully healed.  All her life, Kenzie never known Jackson to depend on anything, let alone a cane for walking.

        "I know," She replied looking up into her brother's face.

        The bruises and the red ring around his neck were slowly going away, but with Jackson's fair skin tone, they were still visible. 

        "How could she do this to me?"  The question was not directed towards Kenzie in particular. 

        She reached out and touched her brother's shoulder. "I've asked myself that many times. But, I believe she really did love you. I don't blame Gloria for what she did. Living in our world, being a woman is hard enough without someone thinking our only job is to cook, clean and wait on a man hand and foot. What she did was bold, how many women journalists do you know of?"

        Jackson stared at Gloria's tombstone which read: 'Gloria Elena Martinez, Beloved Wife and Mother'.  

        "I guess in some sense you're right." 

        "I am." Kenzie replied. 

        Jackson surprised her when he laughed. It was not deep and loud, but low and soft. 

        "I see you turning out to be quite the woman." 

        Kenzie shrugged. "Maybe,"

        With a lace covered hand, she reached into her clutch purse, careful not harm her healing hand and pulled out her cigarettes and cigarette holder. Smoking had become a habit Kenzie picked up in the recent weeks. After all the nights of bad dreams ending with her waking up in cold sweats and the dizzy spells, it was hard to cope. Even with Benicio to hold and console her, his comfort was not enough. The cigarettes helped her deal with the pain and the urges she had, but yet, she was not to sure how she felt about it.

        "Gotta light?" she asked.

        Jackson reached into his pocket and pulled out his lighter. He ignited the flame and Kenzie lit her cigarette. She took a long drag before blowing the smoke out of her nose. It took her a while to learn the trick but once she caught on, it was her choice of style.

       "You know Pa don't like you smoking." Jackson said as they began walking away from Gloria's grave.

        "Are you going to tell?" she teased. When Jackson did not respond Kenzie sighed. "You have no idea what I've been through down in that cellar. It was much more than them just cutting my hair I'll tell you that." 

        A week after she was rescued, Kenzie had asked Gladys to even her hair. But because Robert had cut it in such a ragged way, Gladys had no choice but to give Kenzie a bob. She hated the hairstyle but there was nothing she could do about it except hide it under cloche hats.