Chapter 26: The reveal

Fifteen Minutes Ago

        Joey stayed low as he crept towards the mysterious car. This was the same car he saw parked down the street after he took down the two guards by the church. Instantly he knew it had to be Devaney and his men watching and waiting for whatever it was he had planned to happen.         

        Luckily, the abandoned church was surrounded by trees or Joey would have been spotted. There was a guard, who clearly had no clue he was being preyed on, standing near him smoking a cigarette. Joey got closer and  wrapped his arm around  the guards neck so tight that he could not scream. The pressure of Joey's arm suffocated the man easily and he dropped him quicker than a sack of potato's. 

        As Joey approached the car he could hear laughter coming from it. There was a man in the drivers seats drinking hooch while an elderly man sat in the back with a younger one. Joey almost smiled to himself, this was going to be easier than he thought.

        Now he was close to the car. With his pistol ready, Joey opened the backseat door and pulled the young man out with one hand before firing a shot in the back of his head before quickly sliding into the vacant seat. The driver seemed so stunned as to what was going on, he could not get a grip on the double barrel shotgun laying in the front seat. Joey pulled out a knife and jammed it into the driver's neck.

        Saving the old man for last, Joey sat back and took a breather. He was more surprised than tense. Surprised, that this frail old man looked as calm as the sea after he watched two of his men get murdered right in front of his eyes. Joey knew he was right to investigate the car instead of going inside the church.

        He found Devaney, the person he's been looking for.

        "Well I think introductions are needed to be made," Joey said offering Devaney his hand.

        The old man just stared at it before turning his icy eyes to the driver, who gargled as he gasped for air. 

        "I don't shake the hands of my enemy. Now off with you boyo," Devaney finally replied in a dismissive manner. His accent was as Irish as they come.

        Joey did not like that one bit.

        "I think you and I need to have ourselves a little chat," he leaned over and slammed the door shut.         

        "About what?"

       The driver was still struggling to breath. The blood gushing from his wound was suffocating him. This was music to Joey's ears. He causally crossed his right leg over his left to enjoy the sound of the death that was coming soon.

        "You've been terrorizing us for months now." he said looking over at Devaney like he was talking to an old friend. "A dead body at the pier, one in the cake..."

        "So what's your point?" Devaney asked in a harsh tone. His eyes flashed to his dying driver.  In a rage he violently hit the man in the back of his head with a cane. "Just die already!" he shouted.

       With bloody hands, the driver tried to grab hold of the steering wheel but his fingers slipped. Finally he slump over and took his last breath.

        "Christ" Devaney exclaimed. "He was giving me a fucking headache."

        "Not as much as the one I'm going to give you." Joey said.

        Devaney turned to him with an amused look on his face. "Really now?" his voice with thickly coated with sarcasm.

        Still, Joey nodded his head without letting it get the best of him. After all he knew exactly how the situation was going to pan out.