Chapter 20

"Happy Seventeenth Birthday Kenzie." Everyone sang as they shoved presents at her left and right.

     Needless to say, it was the last day of Summer and Kenzie's birthday. Instead of a wild lavish party, like Gladys had suggested, Kenzie decided to have a nice quiet gathering with the ones she loved the most. It wasn't her idea of course. Benicio told her that it would be best not to draw so much attention to themselves since things in his life were becoming complicated. 

     "Thank you. This means so much to me." Kenzie smiled taking her gifts.

     And it did. Benicio was God knows where probably engaging in dangerous, life threatening deeds that were worst than any horror film Kenzie had ever seen. But he did promise to take her out when he was done for the day. And until that time she was enjoying her small get together with her family and friends.  

     "Kenzie dear," Giada said passing her a tiny box wrapped in gold. "I think you should open mine first since I wasn't able to get you a wedding gift."

     Kenzie had the strangest feeling that Giada's request was not up for discussion. She smiled and took the box.

     "Thank you." She tore the paper off and opened the box. Inside held a beautiful diamond gold tennis bracelet. Kenzie covered her mouth and stared at it in awe. 

     "Diamonds should be a girl's best friend." Giada commented looking satisfied with herself. "I take it you like your gift?"

     "It's absolutely gorgeous." Kenzie replied with a grateful smile.

     She reached over and hugged her mother in law. For just a second Giada did not respond, she seemed just as stunned as Kenzie. When she pulled away there were tears in her mother in law's eyes. 

     Kenzie continued to open the rest of her gifts. Jackson and Gloria gave her a bottle of Arpege perfume, a waffle iron and electric toaster were courtesy of her dad and Papa, Big Daddy gave her a lovely hand craved jewelry box even Clyde and his new girl were generous enough to give her a gift. She was grateful that Gladys and Thelma's gifts were conservative unlike the ones they gave her at the bridal shower, she wasn't sure if she could stomach holding up a nightie in front of her family.

    After giving her thanks Kenzie noticed Antonio standing in the doorway of the family room watching everyone and making no attempt to join the festivities. They intensely locked eyes for a second. For the first time Kenzie realized that Antonio's eyes weren't blue like her husband's, instead they were dark with years of sorrow deep within them.

     Sighing, Antonio broke the contact and walked away.

     Kenzie stood up suddenly causing everyone in the living room to look at her.

    "Something wrong Kenz?" her father asked. 

    "Sorry," she said apologetic. "I just have--um, something to--..." Heels and all, she dashed out of the living room.

     Antonio was walking in the foyer on his way to the front door. His stride was fast but Kenzie and her heels caught up to him.

     "Antonio..." she called not sure why she was stopping him in the first place.

     He paused but didn't turn around making Kenzie swallow hard. Maybe it was best she didn't face him. His eyes may have sorrow in them but they were awfully sinister as well.

     "Antonio," she said again trying to figure out exactly what to say to him.

     Slowly he turned around. Antonio may not have had the same stunning good looks like his brother but they both shared that God forsaken blank face. It was something she still could not get use to.