Chapter 21

Breathe, just breathe. These were the words Benicio said to her the night of their engagement dinner party. It was easier said than done. This was the first time she ever faced real danger. A beautiful show was turned into a night of terror. 

        It was her birthday, and she will always remember it as being what it was.

        Dino pulled the car in front of her house. All the lights were off except for one. It had to have been approaching midnight so Giada and Antonio should have been asleep. And the last time Kenzie checked, no one else was suppose to be in her house.

        "Wait right here." Dino commanded before getting out of the car. He closed the door as softly as he could before slowly creeping towards the house. Kenzie saw him check the front door to see if it was unlocked, it wasn't so he disappeared on the side of the house.

        Kenzie looked around. It was dark and completely silent. The wind in the trees and crickets chirping in the bushes were the only sounds that comforted her, and still she was scared out of her mind. If something happened to Dino that would leave her defenseless.

        She saw the headlights of a car pulling into the driveway. Her first thought was that Benicio was back and he'd come home, but she dared not to get out of the car. When the engine shut off and the driver stepped out of the car, she had realized he was too tall and slender to be her husband. It was Joey.

        He walked over to the car and tapped the window. 

        "Kenzie you in there?" he asked in a controlled whisper.

        "Y-Yes I'm here." she answered. She needed water fast, her throat was killing her. Everything was killing her.

        Joey opened her door and helped her step out. She had to use both hands for leverage, the poor girl thought she'd pass out. "Where's Dino?" he asked her.

        "He went into the house minutes ago." she explained looking at the light coming from the living room. "That light has been on since we arrived. Dino went inside but he never came --out."

        "Hey, hey, hey.." Joey said in a clam voice while hugging her. "You're safe now. Nothing is gonna happen to you. I promise."

        Joey sounded so reassuring that Kenzie smiled. "Okay."

        He went to his car and pulled a huge machine gun from the trunk, making sure to light his cig before he loaded the clip. This was the moment that Kenzie wished she knew how to use a gun. She couldn't help but feel useless. It was clear someone wanted her and her husband dead. But why? From the understanding she had, he was the head of the business for only a few months, which couldn't have been enough time to make enemies. At least that's what she thought.

        The click from Joey's machine gun drew Kenzie's attention. Joey finished his cigarette and stomped it out. Still, there was no sign of Dino. 

        "Stay as close to me as possible." Joey instructed.

        He slowly began creeping towards the house with his gun at the ready. Joey was tall but he crouched low enough that he was seeing eye to eye with Kenzie. She knew that her heels would ruin any element of surprise so she kicked them off. Leaving them in the dirt and followed Joey's lead.

        How did she get wrapped into such a mess? How did her life become so dangerous? Last year she was a quiet little girl who grew roses and studied and did whatever else teenager's did.